A/c issue- brand new a/c?

I just got a new 3ton a/c unit to cool my 1100sf house. It has been cooling great until this week. Temp outside has been in the upper 90's but my a/c is running all day and not cooling below 77degrees. Once the sun starts to set and it cools down outside, the temp inside will go down. Shouldn't my unit be able to cool to at least 73 or 74? And without it running all day?

Update:

Installer has been out several times and says it should cool about 15 degrees below temp outside. So if its 100degrees then my a/c will only cool to about 85? This doesn't seem right.

Comments

• Call the company & speak with the installers supervisor.

For what you likely paid for that thing...they ought to be kissing your backside to keep you happy!

If this thing isn't working correctly, they need to make it right. There must be some kind of warranty on it. And if the outside temp is nearing 100 & they say it should only get to 15 degrees under that...that is crap. You should be able to set that thing for 40 & eventually get that temp...or at least near that. Not that you would set it that low, but it's the point. Wherever you decide to set your thermostat, that is where your temp should go. PERIOD! Especially on a brand new unit.

• first of all, your unit is over sized, maybe. 3 tons 1100x2 feet? on the surface, that seems over sized. but let's say it is sized correctly. well, it's possible you have a refrigerant leak. you know what people call "freon"? that stuff. if that's the case somebody will have to come out, find the leak, patch it, and recharge unit. call the installer fer sure. this should be a warranty issue. somebody didnt solder a joint right at the evaporator of condenser coils. easy fix!

• A properly sized AC should run 100% of the time on the hottest day of the year (i.e. it shouldn't cycle on and off). Is the upper 90's your hottest temp? If not, I would get it checked out.

• Call your installer,, it has a problem