Is Rego Park (Queens, NY) a good/safe neighborhood?

I've only lived in manhattan for a short while and don't have any idea which neighborhoods in the other boroughs are safe, close enough to manhattan, and that maybe don't hurt my wallet as much. How safe/ what is the sentiment and quality of Rego Park?

Update:

thanks guys... so if even possible how would you compare somewhere like williamsburg (brooklyn) to rego park?

Comments

• Rego Park is alot nicer than Williamsburg. I like it alot more and I lived in Williamsburg. You're right by Queens Blvd and theres plenty of transportation there. Good luck and God bless.

• Having lived in Rego Park my entire life, I can honestly say that it is a very nice place to live. There are numerous misconceptions about the safety of Rego Park, but the only "bad" place nearby is Corona (no offense to people who live in Corona), and Rego Park is next to Corona.

Places to live in Rego Park have gone up in price over the years, but it's a very nice and safe neighborhood.

I have multiple friends who live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and I hang out there A LOT, and I have to say that Rego Park is a lot nicer and safer than Williamsburg. I feel Rego Park is quieter, cleaner, and much safer in Rego Park than Williamsburg.

• I think Rego Park is nice. A lot of Russians there but nothing as shady as Brighton Beach. They have a little mall right by the subway where they have Sears and Marshalls and etc it is kind of suburban in that way. I've been there a few times shopping for food and I thought it was decent. I lived in Manhattan but now I live in Astoria.

• Rego Park is a fairly stable neighborhood near Queens Blvd. That area is mostly apartment houses. On the Woodhaven Blvd. side is a lot of smaller houses mixed in. There is a lot of shopping alon Queens Blvd. including Queens Center Mall, which has the highest sales per square foot of any mall in the country, soo you can expect it to be bustling.

Incidentally, the name Rego Park comes from the company that first built thee about a century ago. They named it for the REal GOod houses they built.

• Yes, it's a nice and safe neighborhood. Well all neighborhoods in queens are pretty safe including corona except for south jamaica and far rock. Other relevant neighborhoods which you may be interested due to your interest in rego park are kew gardens, forest hills, middle village, and flushing. Best of luck.

• yes, a nice middle class jewishy neighborhood, just west of Forest Hills, which is 1-2 local subway stops closer to Manhattan, along Queens Blvd.

EDIT: comparing Rego Park to Williamsburg is like comparing apples and oranges. they both have completely different feelings. RP was built with solid, low-rise, elevator apartment buildings, along with nice private homes, and was always middle class residential, while Bburg was mixed industrial and grimy working class residential until it was reclaimed by young artsy and hipster types. go visit each neighborhood for yourself, and you'll see what we mean...

• i wouldn't exactly say any boroughs are safe. i live right here in queens and dangerous stuff happens here from time to time. i think maybe the safest borough in new york would be staten island