Is this parallax?!?!?

When things closer to us seem to be moving faster than things farther away then us? & if it isn't can you explain it to me in an easy way like no fancy words please i'm only in the 8th grade Please & Thank you =]

Comments

• Yes, that is due to parallax.

As you move, the direction to closer objects changes faster than the direction to farther objects. Measuring how much the nearby objects shift is exactly how the distance is determined.

Look at the animation here and you'll see that it illustrates exactly the effect you're talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

• It's not parallax, but I don't know if there's a simple name for what you're describing. The reason for it is that distant objects move across your field of vision more slowly.

For example, a person running by you left-to-right will go from being on your left to being on your right in just a second or two, even though they're not moving very quickly.

But an airplane in the sky can take a minute or more to cross your field of view, even though it's traveling at hundreds of miles per hour.

• u already have 6 answers, y are u posting the same thing again?

go to a search engine or wikipedia and type parallax

• Sorry, I don't know much, use the other answers for other information, all I know is that, yes, this is happening due to parallax.

Sorry, I don't know anything else.

Best of luck with that

Manu Sood 38

• No. You're just referring to the effect by which angular velocity scales inversely with distance. 'Angular velocity' is probably your most useful term with regards to this question, you can look it up on the Internet if you like.