Do surgeons wear special underwear?

Alright, hear me out. Surgeons spend hours in the OR working on a patient. Now I know the standard uniform for anyone working in an operating room; scrubs, surgical mask, booties to cover shoes, etc. But what I want to know is if any special undergarment is required. If I'm on my feet for twelve hours wrist deep in some poor schmucks innards caked with blood I'm going to want to be comfortable. And if I'm the poor schmuck I don't want to worry that my surgeon is going to be distracted because his man thong is giving him a wedgie or because her bra straps are too tight, or if an underwire is poking her in the armpit. So my question is do hospitals require surgeons to wear special underwear?

Comments

• When I was a junior surgeon I always made sure I put on my sensible undercrackers rather than the lace thongs and peep-hole bra, seemed only sensible.

• Are you under the impression that men wear thongs if they aren't surgeons?

• Hahaha, no, no such policy exists that I know of (how would you enforce it anyway?).

That said, any surgeon stupid enough to wear something uncomfortable enough that it interfered with their job to that extent would never have passed the training program in the first place.