is my dog breeder responsable?

could someone tell me if the GSD breeder I got into contact with is responsible? We had back and forth communication for around a month and a half via emails, and after we decided to meet. When we met they told us the puppies were raised outside in a heated kennel with their parents(p.s the puppies were 5 weeks old at the time, also this was late march and snowing had stopped with an occasional few flakes of snow) and they had stopped nursing the puppies because their teeth had already grown sharp and it was notably hurting the mother. Puppies seem healthy and they had been taken to a vet dewormed, had vaccinations, and have been checked for hip and elbow dysplasia. They lived on a very large piece of land around 240 square km. We already gave in deposit and are going to pick them up on April 14. I'm just a bit paranoid.

Comments

• How did you locate this breeder, reliable referral, AKC? Online and/or Craig's list? Reputable breeds are usually the ones who advertise the least, and have waiting lists so you do have to look a little harder. So what do you need to look for when checking out breeders? Here's a list of things that the very best breeders do to ensure a healthy, happy litter of pups – and why they're important to YOU.

 Genetically tests both the stud and dam before breeding, and gladly shares the results of ALL testing with potential purchasers

 Researches the full pedigrees of both stud and dam, and does NOT breed if there's a high probability of health or behavior issues

 Does not breed a dog before the age of 2 or 3 years – there are many issues that do not show up until adolescence or later

 Does not breed any dog more than once every 2 or 3 years – it's far too much stress, physically, on the mother and while rare, studies are starting to show issues with males as well

 Doesn't have more than two litters on the ground at any given time – it's difficult to properly socialize too many puppies at once

 Encourages you (and your family) to visit your pup at least weekly before the pup goes home with you puppy is learning two VERY important things: how to communicate with other dogs and bite inhibition!

 Insists on contract with the following conditions: spay/neuter on pet quality or prior breeding approval for show/field/work quality; pup/dog's return to breeder if, at ANY time in the dog's life, you can no longer care for it; health guarantee (usually part of return clause)

 Offers lifetime guidance and support for as long as you own the dog

 Is a member and follows the Code of Ethics of the parent (main) breed club

 Registers the litters with the AKC, CKC (Canadian, NOT Continental!) or UKC (United, NOT Universal!), WCAC or ARBA as well as major Health Registries (eyes, hips, etc)

 Shows, trials, or otherwise titles their dogs (this shows an investment in bettering the breed)

 Asks YOU for references, including a veterinarian

 Finds out as much about you, your family, your living situation and your intentions for the pup as possible – will NOT sell to 'just anyone'

 NEVER sells their pups to a pet store or outlet

Wait – you aren't done yet! There are some very important things to check when you go to visit the puppies:

 Are the puppies kept indoors with the family, or out in a kennel, garage or shed?

 Ask to see where the pups are kept – is it clean and comfortable, with appropriate (and enough!) toys for the pups? If their area is littered with urine/feces, you may be facing problems with parasites or worse; as well, you don't want them to be housed in stacked crates, for the same reason

 Meet the Parents! If possible, meet both, but definitely ask to meet Mom. A LOT of behavior issues are passed from the mother's side – both genetically AND emotionally. Is Mom calm, and friendly? Is she well-cared for, with healthy-looking fur, eyes, skin and teeth?

 Are the adults indoor or outdoor dogs? Ask to see their living area, if outdoors, and check for cleanliness, temperament, etc.

Seems like a lot to look for, doesn't it? Maybe not, when you think how important this new addition will become to your family!

• You SHOULD be worried. First of all you are dealing with a backyard breeder. Second NO dog can be properly tested and scored for hip dysplacia and elbows BEFORE they are 2 yrs old! So whatever tests they claim they did are totally useless and a lie.

Unless you have a contract that the dogs have a health guarantee and a genetic guarantee for the first 3 yrs (so you can have them properly evaluated), then run run far away. IMO I'd ask for my deposit back - hope its not too much if you have a non-refundable one!

And if this breeder is willing to sell you siblings they are NOT a reputable breeder. NEVER get 2 puppies to train at the same time - especially siblings. Reputable breeders never sell 2 puppies to the same owner at the same time.

• if the place is clean and well maintained, and they have vet references, call the vet and if it checks out, yes it's OK

• paranoid about what ?

• Pretty much,everything in your question sounds wrong...except, "they had stopped nursing". Other than not bring able to OFA dogs until 2 years of age, and #1 & #2 from Amos...the answers are almost as bad as the question. You need to do a LOT more research.....away from YA

• 1) NO "reputable" breeder EVER SELLS two siblings into ONE HOME. Google "Littermate Syndrome".

2) NO reputable breeder vaccinates puppies @ FIVE WEEKS. The mother's ANTIBODIES pass to the puppies thru her milk and LAST until 7 weeks, regardless of when they stopped nursing. These antibodies will FIGHT with any vaccine given BEFORE 7 weeks. That makes the vaccines WORTHLESS! (When puppies get their TEETH) is a common age FOR NATURE to cause the nursing to STOP (on Mom's part).

3) Reputable breeders raise litter IN THE HOUSE - where they can get USED to house/home noises and can be socialized with people & kept CLEAN. Dogs housed like LIVESTOCK, are not being well cared for and are NOT getting much (if ANY socialization to people or SOUNDS or different types of flooring etc.).

4) Puppies CANNOT be CERTIFIED as free of any hip or elbow issues. OFA does NOT certify any dog until 2 years old. Did they show you ANY ACTUAL certificates ON the parent's hips & elbows from OFA? They will have the parent's registered name & microchip or tattoo (permanent ID) info ON the certificate.

5) Reputable breeder belong to their LOCAL: kennel club or dog training club, their local GSD club AND the NATIONAL GSD club & any of ALL of the above = can & will refer you to them, "IF" actually reputable.

• A responsible breeder does not let BOTH Parents together with a litter of 5 week old puppies. Good dog breeders don't even usually breed their own two dogs together. They may own both a male and female, but that male isn't usually the best match for a breeding. They breed their own two dogs together because they don't have to pay for stud service, which can save them hundreds if not a couple of thousand dollars. The puppies are TOO YOUNG to be checked for hip and elbow dysplasia The Parents might be OFA certified, but the pups are NOT. If either of the Parents are under the age of two years old, they can't be OFA certified either. If they are over two years old and the breeder tells you they are OFA certified, ASK them for proof, as they should have certificates to prove it AND the pup's registration papers will have the certification hip and elbow stats listed behind the Parent's registration names. Do they have a contract? If not, they ARE Backyard Breeders, which already sounds to be true by what you posted. This has NOTHING to do with them being outside in a heated kennel. It has to do with what I stated above. You also stated that you gave a deposit and are going to pick THEM up on April 14th, which tells me that they are selling you more than one puppy from this litter, and happily welcome the money you're putting in their hands. Get your money back, as you don't know the difference between a BYB and a good one. If they won't give you your deposit back, then I guess you're either stuck with two BYBred puppies OR you can always choose to take the loss and find a REAL reputable breeder. Those Parents have ZERO titles, nor have they been proven worthy to be bred. The breeder is money hungry, which is the reason why they bred in the first place.

• Nobody can tell you if the breeder is responsible or not ,until they have bought a dog from that particular breeder..... And I havent.

What perhaps you could do is check if he is on the relevant K.c`s recomended breeder list though if not, It does not stop the breeder being a responsible breeder either. But it

may give you some assurance, little though it may be. You could also ask the breeder for references from previous customers, and of course check them out also.......... Personally.

Then their vet references as Dobigail correctly pointed out.... And i also fully agree with her answer cos I understand where she is coming from

As for me the words "reputable breeder" are relative,

Id rather trust in the the words careful and selective breeder,

Having witnessed a large part what so called reputable breeding added to the demise of the Pug for example..... and so many others also.

In my experience they tend to breed the working qualities out of working dogs favouring the requirements and breed standards of the showring and the attached kc's and their utterly stupid breeding requirements and policies and standards.( most of the many working sheepdogs that i have aquaintance wiith would never pass for show quality dogs nor do they conform to the exact Kc standards required either). Which alone is a farce..

However it does not stop them being far better sheepdogs than their show bred counterparts in general though either..... I say that having met a border collie of direct show champion linage fairly recently that was terrified by a few of my ewes..... ( Some Sheepdog champions ).

• You can not check dogs for hip dysplasia till they are at least two years of age, also elbows.

Personally I would not trust these people.

You are saying them, does that mean you are going to get more then one puppy.

That is not really advisable, it is hard enough to train puppy let alone two.