would you consider nascar a sport?

well would you, give reason why. me and my friends are having an argument.

Comments

• Yes i would. If people can call ping pong, and chess sports. I am sure we can call NASCAR a sport

• Nascars a spectator sport. Come on all u do is sit in a car and steer the wheel or shift gears. Look there making another left turn. If you want to see a real sport watch football or hockey. Just look up the definition in the dictionary. Also if you call Nascar a sport then pilots flying planes are athletes.

• You're asking a section full of NASCAR fans so I doubt the answers will vary.

Yes, NASCAR is a sport. Actually, no, scratch that. NASCAR is not a sport. NASCAR is an association, like the NBA or NFL. You wouldn't say "the NBA is a sport." You'd say "basketball is a sport." In NASCAR's case, you'd say "stock car racing is a sport."

So in essence, yes, it's a sport.

• Sport isn't always just a stick and ball sport. Sport is really considered in any type of competitive event where athletes or competitors compete to win that event (within reason). Chess or checkers is not a sport. Such as a marathon race, it is an athletic event with the runners being the athletes. Horse Racing is a sport and for this reason Nascar is as well. The athletes are the drivers which would be comparable to the jockeys and the cars are comparable to the horses. Its a sport, its just not comparable to stick and ball sports or the athletes in those sports.

• Oh yeah, it's a sport.

The driver's are continuously under extreme G forces throughout the race. The stress level and pressure they're under driving a machine that's moving upwards of 200 mph. One false jerk or a wrongly placed tap by an opponent can send you flying upside down into the wall. Each driver endures a rigorous training program to keep themselves in shape for each race. The dehydration alone can cause an individual driver to lose up to 10 pounds in just one race.

Yep, it's a sport.

• Yes it is a sport. Drivers just don't get in the car and drive. They need to have a physical fitness plan. I can't think of one driver who doesn't do some sort of physical activity to prepare him or her for the races each week. Endurance is not only mental but physical.

EDIT: I like the comparison that "jdubya" has made.

Stewart Haas Racing!

• Yes, it's a team of people (driver, crew chief, pit crew, etc.) contending in a mentally and physically demanding contest with other teams of people to attain the goal of being first to win a race. Sounds like a sport to me.

• Yes. Because NASCAR requires athletic ability to save the car when it starts to spin or gets loose. Also, the drivers need to stay fit.

• Do you call working hard enough to lose 5 lb in 4 hr a sport