My previous employer refuses to send p45?

I left my job in January 2013, I had severe depression and was unable to work, I wasn't able to work my 4 weeks notice, and my employer quite understandably wasn't happy about this. The reason I wasn't able to work was because during the 3 years I worked there, I was constantly made fun of by my employer for my illness and didn't feel able to carry on there. I am now looking for new work, but I am aware that to start a new job you need a p45. My employer still hasn't sent it, even though I've requested it, he is refusing. What are my options? Legally and otherwise? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• You don't need a P45. Your new employer will give you something called a Starter Checklist (replaces the old Form P46) and you just need to complete that.

• No P45 From Employer

• You do not need a P45 to start a new job. If you did school leavers would never be able to get a job.

We are now in a new tax year so any P45 issued last January would be no use anyway.

If you have not worked since January you probably have a tax refund to come. Write to HMRC giving your national insurance number and details of your last employer i.e. address and dates of leaving and ask for a review of your tax for the year 2012-2013

• By law your employer must give you a P45. Tell him that ****, and if he still doesn't want to listen tell him you will be in touch with your solicitor. He is likely to be trying to cover up some sort of tax avoidance or that he may have underpaid you, don't let the scummy bastard get away with this, because at the end of the day the law is on your side!

• Stop worrying about it - you don't need it.

If you start another job then your new employer will sort out all the relevant forms, and you will go on emergency tax for a few weeks. Then you'll go onto the correct tax code and will get back any overpayment.

Yes, you can go to Citizen's Advice, or take legal action etc etc, but none of that is going to help your state of mind if you are prone to bouts of depression. Why put yourself through that for something that you can easily manage without?

Hope you find something more suitable soon.

• you can start a new job without a P45 however you will be gven an emergency tax code, which will mean higher tax but that is refunded to you when you are on correct tax code.

Your ex boss should by law have provided you with a P60 in April/May

Contact Citizens advice or your local Tax office for assistance.

• You don't necessarily NEED a P45 to start a new job. It just makes things much easier for your new employer and enables you to pay the correct rate of tax straightaway.

Look here for what happens in the absence of a P45.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/employee-starting/n...

Happy job hunting.

• They must provide you with your P45 by LAW. Tell them a solicitor will be in touch with them unless they send it immediately

• Your new employer will give you a new form to sign to get your tax coding.

Nothing to worry about, happens all the time.

UK

• My last place didnt give me a P45 and my new place sorted it out with a P46 form :) Go to your local advise beauro they should help you out further :) if you have any pay slips they have your tax number, take note of it :) help me? http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201... x