Dress code at Lowes? Sexist?

So I've been working at Lowes Home Improvement for a couple months. We were told in orientation that the dress code is:

Males: Collared shirt and must be tucked in with a belt.

Females: Can wear T shirts and they do not need to be tucked in.

How can they even discriminate? I'm a male and yesterday I forgot to tuck in my collared polo shirt and the store manager yelled at me to go into the bathroom and tuck it in, while all the females have t shirts untucked. I'm like the only male cashier so it is really frustrating that she did that. I also see guys working sales that show up in t shirts every day and no one ever gets after them..

Is this even allowed? Especially in Los Angeles?

Comments

• It's not the end of the world. You should be glad that you have a job.

• Not to have a *fair* dress code, no. Everyone will have to obey it, after all. It could however be uncomfortable to people if the dress code involves wearing things that offend/embarrass them. It can be sexist if, for example, if in winter everyone has to wear suits or formal office clothes but then in summer all the women are allowed to wear sandals and vest tops, while guys have to remain suited and booted and hot. This is a common grip i see mentioned in the Metro Newspaper and is unfair and sexist.