Is COLLEGE a scam?

The whole world will tell you "Go to college, get a degree, and be able to do WHATEVER you want for a living" But the truth is, most people graduate with a degree and find themselves $200,000 in debt and realize that no jobs exist in the field they studied. Is it true? People just want your money? People are lying to our kids so these schools can CASH in on us?

Comments

• I agree that college degree holders earn more money over their lifetimes. However, as a parent with a daughter headed for college in the fall and an adjunct faculty member, I believe college tuition and student loan debt is out of control too. I don't have any easy solution. Other than that I would recommend the local junior college and avoiding student loans.

Check out this article by Ted Rall, http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=03...

• Obviously, there are only so many high-paying jobs, and increasing the number of college graduates does not increase the number of those jobs. But increasing the number of college graduates does mean that employers are better able to pick & choose among them--having a degree does not automatically guarantee you'll live happily, and well-paid, ever after.

On the other hand, employees now frequently hire college grads for jobs that didn't used to require a degree--they think the grads are more likely to know how to work. Plus, a high school diploma doesn't mean as much as it used to, people graducate from high school with little or no ability to read, write and compute.

Bottom line: you need some kind of after-high-school training to be able to compete in the job market. Doesn't have to be a college; you can also work at a trade.

• No, and you're only 200,000 dollars in debt if you go for almost 20 years. Most colleges charge somewhere between 5000-10 000 dollars a year. If you pay for everything yourself, without getting a loan, you will not be in debt. Nobody is lying to your children. To get a good job you must go to college, unless your dream is to work in the fast food industry or as a janitor. You can also get scholarships and bursaries. To go for four years studying to be a journalist and having a dorm, it will only cost approx. 40,000 dollars. With a scholarship and/or bursary the cost can be lowered down to 20,000 if not less.

• there's no scam going on - if you go to an out of state school or a private school then it will cost you >$100,000. If you go in state or take your prerequisites at a community college then switch over to an in state school - then you will come away with far less debt. Also, while I don't know the stats, people who go to college earn more money than those who don't. Also, people who go to college are more well rounded individuals. Not that you can't explore the world yourself, but you are given a greater understanding of anything you want to study when you go to college.

• You're an absolute moron if you rack up $200,000 of debt for an undergrad degree.

You can do whatever you want, but it takes a lot of effort and ingenuity (and brains for many jobs). Planning as well.

Most kids don't do that or want to go through all that trouble. That's not the school's fault. You can give someone an opportunity. Can't get them to take that opportunity. The whole, "you can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink" saying.

There are plenty of opportunities to go to college for little or no cost. Nearly all my friends and I went to state schools. We all graduated with little to no debt. Whether we had parental help or not. If your parents can't afford to help you, financial aid and work study can cover pretty much all your costs.

• I was never told I'd get a job in whatever field I wanted. I don't know who told you that, but they are scamming you, not higher education. College is about expanding your mind. Some people enjoy learning, college is for them. Also, while you are not guaranteed a job, your chances of getting one are much greater with a college degree in hand.

• No it is not a scam. Going to college does not guarantee you will get a great job, but that is not the only reason to go to college! You gain knowledge and understanding and educate yourself, college is like a workout for the brain. If you can get some scholarships and start at a community college it does not cost 200K at all.

• It's only a scam inasmuch as some colleges will confer degrees on idiots who come out no better educated than when they went in.

If nothing else, it proves you sat down and did largely what you were told and turned in your homework and projects on time-- employers like to know that you can really do that.

• Well, if you get a libral arts degree, I'd say yeah, you probably wasted your money and time. However, for science/engineering degrees, college is the only way to go. So pick a better major next time, or don't bother.

• The cost, debt & job market issues are at a crisis because of our country's lack of leadership.

However, higher education is valuable.

The largest component of the value are the contacts that are made and the experiences gained.