Why do resturants have to serve "Lent Specials"?

The resturant I like has stopped serving the Beef Stew Special on Fridays because of Lent. Now there is fish.

I do not observe Lent nor would I care to eat fish, in any case.

Comments

• I think it's kind of odd that they actually took it off the menu (unless the owners or the people who have to prepare the food observe Lent), but it makes sense to me that they would add "Lent Specials" to the menu.

Red meat, fats, chocolate and alcohol are all things many people give up for Lent. Providing options for the more religiously observant patrons makes sense to me.

It does seem odd that they would remove the originals, though, because not everyone (in fact, not most people, in the area I'm from anyway) observe Lent. However, it could be that the owners observe Lent and not handling certain items go along with their observation of Lent.

I would suggest finding something else on the menu you will enjoy, or take a break from the restaurant until Easter.

• they don't have to, they choose to serve the Lent Specials.

order the beef stew if you want it, as they probably still make it, its just not on "special."

otherwise, take a walk on the wild side, why don't ya', and eat a piece of fish.

i don't observe lent either, but i don't mind at all when the friday specials change to fish & chips - they're tasty!

• They don't have to serve Lent specials, but this particular restaurant is either run by Catholics or has enough of a Catholic clientele that they feel this is appropriate.

• Because a good percentage of their business does observe lent so that's why they would change the menu. Good for them for knowing their customer base. As for you, fish is good for you and it helps your gray matter.

• It is one of the things people do for one reason or another, in this case the religious reason.

It could be the owner's beliefs, the clientele's belief or just marketing, I will let you be the judge.

Looks like you will have to go elsewhere for your "Hot Pot" or learn to like fish, if there s nothing else on the menu.

• They don't have to, they choose to. I work in a restauraunt where we serve lent specials and it boosts sales a lot on Fridays.

• I am sure they would like to be considerate of other people's faith, choices, etc. I think it is a good practice, regardless. It may be a way of increasing their business also.

• they do it to keep customers. its not like its any sort of law or anything, just business. find somewhere else with beef stew.

• They do it to attract the religious type. There's no law that says they "have" to do this.

• Because we still have "In God We Trust" on our money. Take THAT one to Washington.

Drives me nuts too.