coyotes attack dog?

I have alot of woods behind my house and I have heard of alot of coyote attacks. I know there is a coyote behind my house. I never leave my dog outside alone at night but during the day he loves to sniff around outside for hours. Should I be worried about the coyote attacking him. He is a beagle and about 32 pounds. What should I do for precautions

Comments

• Never, ever, ever let your dog outside alone...Not ever. Not even in the daytime.

We have coyotes so bold that they will attack a dog on a leash!!!!!!!!!! Some of us take our dogs on walks only with our guns. So far, I have never had to shoot one, but when we see one, we get back into the house. Coyotes are in forests, desert, plains, and open spaces.... they are everywhere, and smarter than any dog.

If you love this pet, don't ever go out without a gun with you, and your dog on a leash. When my dad moved to Oregon, he lost all of the cats, and any dog that didn't weigh 150 lbs. Mircat is correct. Keep him indoors. It is really that simple. You can set up a fence hugely high, and electrified, on the perimeter for him to play in. Most coyotes have seen an electric wire... get that from any feed store. It comes with a charger or can be battery operated. Easy to install. The fence keeps the dog in, but the coyote can rip open any chain link fence to get it. (our neighbors just lost all they laying hens.... the coyotes ripped off the chain link as if it were cheap plastic. Make the fence 8 ft. high. But again, don't let your dog out by itself if you care for it.

• Any medium sized dog is the equal of a lone coyote. I've seen 1 of my barn cats scare off a coyote and our ancient mare stomped one into a greasespot. They walk like a stream flowing over ground and they sing beautifully enough to bring tears to your eyes but they are timid. They eat mice, voles, lizards and the occasional rabbit. Great warriors they are not. Your beagle is safe.

OH, i forgot to say, coyotes much prefer prairie to woods. Wolves sometimes like woods, but not coyotes.

• Yes

They can and will kill dogs. They have been documented luring large dogs off and the whole pack tears the dog apart. A small dog doesn't stand a chance. Never leave the dog outside and keep it on a leash

• Here's my beagle after the coyotes got him in 2007 this happened at approximately 8:30am in April. He barely made it.

Don't let him out alone especially between dusk and dawn. Ensure you have a proper fence, and get coyote rollers or a hotwire on your fence.

• Keep him indoors. It's that simple small dogs and cats should NEVER be left on their own outdoors where there are coyotes.

• I would not leave him outside alone if he were mine. I would supervise him and exercise him by walking on his leash..Hope that helps