What do you wear to contemporary dance class?

tomorrow will be my first contemporary dance class! im excited, but i don't know what your supposed to wear! what are you supposed to wear for clothing and shoes? Ive heard a lot about foot undeez, should i wear those? also they dont have a specific dress code for the type of dance im doing, ok heres what i think i should wear; A loose shirt with athletic shorts. does that sound good? anyways, HELP!!

Comments

• For contemporary dance heres some clothes options :

Gymnastics leotard with shorts,leggings, or none

Tight fitted shirt (Or one that one come up) with shorts or leggings

or if your comfortable with it just wear a sports bra and shorts or leggings

• When I took contemporary, I usually had it right after ballet, so I would just put a tank top (form fitting) and dance shorts over my leo and tights. You could do this same combination with a sports bra underneath, and choose whether you want to wear tights or not. I also preferred jazz shoes. Some contemporary classes are barefoot, but all the girls in my class wore jazz shoes. After your first class, you should be able to gauge what everyone else is wearing and go with it.

• If there is no dress code, nothing loose but something form fitting that you can move in. Perhaps a tank top or tee shirt or even a sports bra top and yoga pants or dance shorts. Your teacher needs to see your body and you need to be able to move.

Foot Undeez are only used in recreational dance. Professionals and serious dance students never use them. They are used to protect the ball of your foot and keep it from getting floor burns then blistering and then building callouses. Actually you want those callouses if you are serious about dance. They help in turning . Foot Undeez kind of do the same thing without building the needed callouses. If you are serious about dance you would take ballet and codified modern dance first as contemporary uses those skills as it has no real seperate technique of its own. Most of the better recreational dance programs won't allow you to take this type of class without ballet and modern training first. My guess is this is most likely a lyrical/ contemporary class and not real contemporary dance. You won't find this type of class or dance outside of recital schools and competition dance as it isn't a professional dance genre. It will likely be more like a combination of ballet, jazz and Acro.

If you are there to have fun, enjoy your class but if you expect to learn to dance properly and have no ballet and modern dance training this kind of class won't give that to you.

After your first class you will see what others are wearing and make adjustments to fit in most likely.

• For what I know, in contemporary, you're barefoot. Since, it's your first class, just wear something comfortable. Your studio will tell you what to wear afterwards if they have a specific attire. Enjoy your class!

P.S. If you're really worried, just call up your studio and ask them what they want you to wear.