How do you sear a pork chop?

I cooked pork chops tonight and the recipe said to sear the pork chops and then place them in foil. What about the liver disease that manifests itself in uncooked pork, am I to feed that to my family and wish them good bye in morbid and painful death?

Update:

Off subject...I am new at this site. Why do I keep losing points every time I ask a question. I started out with 101 and now I am down to 88...I thought you were supposed to gain points from asking and answering questions.

Comments

• In the recipes that I have that call for you to sear pork chops go like this:

you put in a little bit of oil in the bottom of the pan and cook the pork chops on both sides for a few minutes til brown on both side.

AND all the recipes call on you to cook the chops further later on. searing just seals in the juices.

• The other answers are all correct that searing in a small amount of oil on both sides seals in the juices, but it also browns the surfaces. Unless the chops (or any other meats) are thinly sliced, I heat the pan on medium to medium high before adding the meat/chops. Yes, pork should have an internal temp of at least 140 and overcooking dries it out.

• Searing is done in an extremely hot skillet or on and extremely hot grill. It only takes a minute or so per side, and as other people have stated, it locks in the natural juices.

Oh, and add your chops to the hot skillet or grill. If you put the chops on a cold skillet or grill and add heat, you will simply be pan frying the things.

BTW, the National Restaurant Association Education Foundations' ServSafe Guidelines call for pork to be cooked to an internal temperature of at least:

145*F and held for 3 minutes at that temperature

150*F and held for 1 minuted at that temperature

155*F and held for 15 seconds at that temperature

or 158* or higher for at least 1 second.

At home, I generally just get the internal temperature to 160 and call it good.

Doc Hudson

• The recipes I know of for pork chops do call for you to cook the chops all the way through at some point. I would never, under any circumstances, serve my family under cooked pork for the same reason you are concerned. Pigs are nasty animals!

• Searing just locks in the juices of your meat, while creating a beautiful golden brown color on the meat.

So, put some oil in your pan, heat it up, drop in your meat that has been seasoned, or seasoned and floured and or breaded, then cook on each side for a couple of minutes, locking in those juices, then proceed with the recipe which, I am positive, will tell you to further cook the meat until it is done-either in the oven, crockpot, or to remain in the fry pan, lowering the heat until cooked to perfection!

BTW: you lose points every time you ask a question, and only gain 2 points each time you answer one.

• I tend to agree with Lily-any recipe for pork should call for cooking it to an internal temp of 140F.

However, in the off chance that a family member does become infected with trichinosis, it can be treated now days.

• as far as searing goes, the above answer is correct... as far as "disease" is concerned; a slight pinkish hue in your pork (after finishing in the oven ) is perfectly safe, and in fact more desirable than overcooked, dry pork which will be whiteish throughout and grainy.

and as far as your final question... ASKING questions costs points. ANSWERING questions gains points. providing the BEST ANSWER gains more points and selecting a BEST ANSWER also gains points.