How to prep for a period?

So im16 years old and I'm 5'7 I'm very thin

I haven't gotten my period yet. Not even once so I'm a late bloomer and unprepared

Im feeling these cramps that comes and goes I go to the bathroom nothin just poop but idk if it's poop cramps they just hurt this happeneds when I eat a lot but that's another thing I'm eating so much well at least I finish 3 meals a day breakfast lunch and dinner my dinner is pretty big and I used to be picky

But how do I prepare for a period what do I have to expect what r the symptoms what should I carry in my bag or put in my locker I already have pads and tampons prepaired in my bag but do I need like dark underwear idk what I'm doing

What are things to keep me computer blue like a tea mug foods chocolate something? Idk

What's your story how do you care for YOUR period

I'm a bit nervous excited and scared

Thanks

Comments

• The cramps you're feeling may be menstrual cramps.

Menstrual problems like cramps are preventable, but for now they are one of the most obvious signs to watch out for. Everyone is different, you may notice obvious signs like cramps, tender breasts, increased sex drive, PMS, acne, increased mental awareness, mood changes...or there are signs unique to you that you may not fully notice until you've had your period for a while.

Discharge is the best way to tell when your period may be due - about two to three weeks before your period is when you're fertile and your body produces fertile quality cervical mucus which is discharge that is stretchy, wet and clear like egg-whites. After this your discharge gets more lotion-like and thicker, and then just before your period starts you may notice brown or pink discharge.

Don't use tampons until you've had your periods long enough to know what absorbency to use, really with better options like menstrual cups and softcups there's no need to use tampons at all. Get a menstrual cup, they're internal like tampons but safer so no risk of TSS, infections, increased cramps or dioxin exposure - this means they can be worn worn for 12 hours, with any flow, overnight, before your period and no need to alternate with pads, plus they don't leak like tampons.

Keep a little make-up bag with you at all times with these sort of items;

- A few pantiliners.

- A few pads in different absorbencies.

- Menstrual cup or two softcups.

- Pad tin to keep pads clean/dry.

- Disposable sanitary bags.

- Spare underwear just in case.

- Painkillers for cramps (Ibuprofen or Aspirin).

- Hand wipes (don't use on vulva!).

- Body-spray.

- Tissues.

As long as you have pads that's the main point, but if you do get caught without your period kit just ask another woman for a pad or use toilet paper until you can get a pad. Billions of women have gone through this, it's an important event but in a way it's not a huge deal...you'll manage.

You don't necessarily need dark underwear, but it's not a bad idea to have dark underwear and also get a dark coloured old towel for your bed at night just in case - don't worry if you leak, it's not the end of the world, it's just blood so soak in cold water and hydrogen peroxide before washing. Period underwear may be helpful, either leak-proof like Sexy Period or padded like Lunapanties.

Get a calendar and maybe a diary too - although your periods won't be regular to start with, keeping note is important so you know when your periods might be due and to be able to tell your doctor, if you can also record other aspects of your cycle like when you notice fertility signs, this article explains more - http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/get_with_th...

Lots of girls like chocolate on their period...well...it's a good excuse to scoff chocolate! But a good diet is essential to prevent menstrual problems, and if you do have problems like cramps things like herbal teas and painkillers are good to have. See my answer to this question for more ideas for cramps - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AvW.A...

Oh, and attitude is a BIG one - just like seeing nothing but super-skinny models in magazines makes us hate our bodies, negative messages about periods can make us hate menstruation...it's not dirty, embarrassing, shameful, smelly, or inconvenient. Periods are as good or as bad as YOU make them. Learn all you can so you know what to expect and how to make them better, stay positive, and celebrate your first period.

Try reading this article...

On The Rag: A Guide To Menstruation - http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/on_the_rag_...

• For the symptoms, some girls don't even get them. Like me, when I got my period, I had no idea. I didn't have any symptoms but just a bit of discharge. So that's one symptoms to look out for. Discharge, cramps, mood swings, aching back.... I know there's more, but not sure which. The most common symptoms are the discharge and cramps.

You're on the right track with being prepared. Make sure you keep pads and tampons everywhere. Extras in your locker, some in your bag, give some to your nurse... Just in case! Keep a pair of underwear in your locker, it doesn't matter if it's light or dark, just because if you do and your current ones are stained, you can change them and put a pad on. It's also a good idea to keep an extra pair of pants or shorts in your locker as well, just in case you leak through your undies. Some midol/tylonol/pamprin/whatever you use for cramps is also a good idea to have, just in case you start to cramp. That's really all you need!

If you feel anything in your underwear while you're at school, don't wait. Go to the rest room. It's always a good idea to do that, just in case it is your period (but it could just be discharge). Better to be safe, then sorry.

I'm not sure what you meant by your last question, so I can't answer it. Sorry!

I don't really care for my period too much. Just make sure I have pads in my bag, all the time.. Some midol.. I make sure to keep a calender.. That's a big one! When you go to the doctor, depending on what it's for, he may want to know when you first started and when your last one was. So make sure to keep a calender, whether it's an app on your phone or a paper one. Keep track!:)

I'd say if you don't get your period by the time you're 17, it's a good idea to go see the doctor, something could be wrong, or just whatever.

• The cramps are hard to explain but there in abdomen and come in a range of strengths like some are just a little pain or some people like me experience cramps that at times may stop me from moving and make me lie down because it hurts so much, but don't worry about that. And the food thing relates to the change of appetite PMS symptom. You may also feel bloated, head aches, back aches, hot flushes, experience many mods wings, crying spells, depression and all the other lovely things, but these are just symptoms, some happen to some girls, some happen to others, some have no sympoms, some have them all so you will need to work out which signs YOU get. And to prepare for a period you should keep a few pads, a few tampons, hand sanitizer, a change of dark undies, feminine wipes ( optional, some opt for these so that all the blood is fully cleaned out) and a few little trash bag sorts of things just in case you need to hold onto your used products because there is no biin or it's completely full, these things can go in a little make up bag style bag and should be kept in your bag.

• A prep interval isn't a free period. You are purported to do stuff that the teacher leaves so that you can do, like marking or cutting out letters or making little books. Most lecturers do not depart lots so we get used to doing nothing, however technically the only actual spoil is lunch. So, if they want you to make use of your prep to do some thing else you have to do it. Additionally, showing that you're inclined to help out will get you extra jobs. If you happen to begin going legal on them they are going to discontinue calling you. And compensation simplest kicks in if they make you stay after university hours. In our district they're so concerned about having to pay additional time that they kick you out the door even supposing you volunteer to stay.