Is cassette to CD, MP3 legal?

I am just wondering if converting cassette to Cd legal, and if so how?

Comments

• I assume it depends what you transfer - a recording of yourself talking (legal), a few songs recorded from the radio (probably not legal) or making a digital copy of an 80's original music tape (definitely not legal).

Either way, if its for self use no one will come to arrest you (unless you distribute it to others on or off line). You can buy a converter for $20- $25 to convert tapes into mp3 files (and then burn them on a CD). Type on amazon "cassette to mp3".

• It's been rather a whilst for the reason that I've performed this, however I think Windows Media Player itself will 'rip' the CD to mp3s. When you could have a CD in and on the most sensible of the window wherein it says Rip on a button and also you click on it, I think it asks you what structure you wish to tear the CD to. I would not have a track CD right here with me or I'd let you know step-by-step. Otherwise, simply Google and discover and use probably the most many unfastened CD rippers to get your MP3s you wish. I desire that is helping you. Hugh .

• Depends on where you live - In the US, there is a 'fair use' rule which would allow you to copy your own tape collection for your own use only.

In the UK, such rules do not apply, however nobody would, in practice, be prosecuted for such behaviour.

Where the mark is overstepped is when a tape is copied and then distributed (whether freely or at a cost) to others who never previously owned the recording in any format. No-one has the rights to do that unless they are the 'owners' of all associated copyrights.