do athletes maintain a day time job or does their club pay them?

I am pretty fast and run the 100m in 10.8 secs (my personal best), but I know I can do better since I never trained with a club a day in my life no do I train alone. So I guess I am just naturally fast.

What I wanna know is how I would make a living if I took track seriously and considered the Olympics. Joining my Uni's track club is a great start since I can get a scholarship but what happens after I graduate and join a local club associated with USATF. Does that club pay its members some kind of stipend to train at nights and weekends.

Or is it up to the athlete to maintain a full time job, still attend training & events and also pay for equipment?

I asked since I doubt Bolt works but yet still he lives a great life. I recon he lives off his Olympic money and endorsements. But how does the striving athlete survive and afford the luxury of training full time without having to work a 9-5?

Thanks

Comments

• Clubs don't pay you to run, so most, even the very good runners have some kind of job.

People like Bolt have contracts with shoe companies and do endorsements and are paid millions each year.

The vast majority don't make enough to pay their bills.