Does a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am have airbags?

I bought it today and just asking if its safe.

Can you install them if it doesn't have any airbags.

Update:

how much is it for racing seats, a 5 point harness, and a roll cage

Comments

• ***EDIT***

Race seats for the pair will run between $150 and 700 depending on brand, style, etc you want

Roll cage is about $200-300 for the pre bend bars but alot of fab work still to install, like cut nd notch a few bars, strip interior parts out, weld floor plates in and weld bars to plates then put interior back together. The labor for a chassis shop to do that will be aout $800-1000 if they are removing ad re install your interior too. About half that if you do the interior R&R

5 point belts are $50-80 each for std latch type, and around $150 for cam lock style

***EDIT OFF***

God no! Air bags didnt come out in GM cars untill 1989 and no there is no way of adding air bags to a '79 trans am.

I could rant for hours on this whole safty BS. I won't, I'll keep it short

The ONLY reason why we need air bags, rear veiw cams, seat belts, auto braking if a car is too close in front of you, etc is cause most people today are too damn dumb to think for their selfs anymore. If their computer, phone, GPS cant tell them how to drive, where to turn, remind them to pick up little Johnny at 3:15 from school and take little Jen to cheerleading pratice at 6 pm.. They would be freaking lost. Can't people think on their own anymore?

From the dawn of the car to 1988 billions and billions of people drove, was safe and made it from point A to B just fine with out air bags, heck even with out seat belts.

You really want to be safe, like others said weld in a 10 point roll cage, and put in 5 point harness.

Maybe the gov. should make a law for use to have to wear a helmet when driving a car too lol

• No, it does not have air bags. Very few cars from the 1970's had air bags. These were not available until almost 10 years later in the late 1980's.

The air bag system is an elaborate setup. There is no aftermarket kit that you can install.

Get used to the fact that you will never have air bags in a vehicle as old as this one.

If safety is a concern you could install a 5 point racing harness. Just make sure it is properly anchored to the vehicle or it will do you no good.

• no sorry no air bags, that is a good old piece of american iron and big block power was more reality than an air bag, good luck though. it would probably cost more than you paid for the car to add air bags, and an air bag is not fail safe, oftentimes they do not work, sometimes they go off when you hit a driveway too hard, so depending on something to save your life is not always best, driving safer, paying attention, not over driving the conditions, and if something does not look right down the road, lift off the gas and get your foot over the brake pedal, this is smarter safer driving. take a course on high speed driving, learn what your car, can and cannot do. Make the suspension of your car more capable to handle what you do to it.one thing I have spent my life time doing is not letting people ride in the blind spots just behind the car on the right or left side. This may be the only place you can go if your lane becomes blocked for some reason, (and I have lost count of the things I found suddenly blocking my lane, everything from a four foot high pile of two by fours, to some stupid driver who saw a rough patch of repaired asphalt on a Mountain road, she just stopped IN THE HIGHWAY ON A BLIND CORNER CAUSE SHE DID NOT WANT TO DRIVE OVER IT, ( YOU CANT DO THAT!!! SHE HAD PLENTY OF ROOM TO GET OFF THE HIGHWAY!!!) I FLEW BY HERE NEXT ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD, then she decided to drive over it, luckily for all of us there was no oncoming traffic.

• the 403 utilized in 1979 trans ams replaced into an oldsmobile motor. the place does the oil pass in at...valve cover = pontiac motor; front of motor in a tube increasing from the valley pan = oldsmobile motor. attempt finding up a 1979 oldsmobile with a 403 OR seem at your vin quantity for the motor vehicle, is there a "ok" or a "z".

• Those are things you really should have asked before you bought your car.

To answer your question, your car doesn't have airbags. Having them installed is a big project, and it would cost more than you paid for the car.

• NO, does not have airbags, no, cannot install airbags, Yes, it is safe, and NO, why would you want to install airbags? Don't ruin the car, they are becoming collectors items, leave it alone.

• No, amazingly enough millions of us survived without government mandated airbags, or seatbelts for that matter. The car is safe...

• 5 point harness should do the trick, and a roll cage if you plan on driving fast through the woods, at night, drunk

• No it doesn't.

No you can't.