a oscar ? please answer dont know?

ok iwas at a pet store i was tryna buy a 55 gallon for a oscar but the man said thats way to small so he told me a 1 oscar gets really big and needs 1500 gallons i was confuised but bought it was that right and how many can i put in there if i can only put one thats just gonna have to be

Comments

• You are correct, he was not even close. One adult Oscar can live perfectly well in a 55 gallon tank. I have had dozens over the years that lived their whole lives (eight years or so) in 55 gallons tanks. Just make sure it has a good strong power filter. They are fairly messy eaters..(The one inch per gallon rule does not apply to oscars because they are so bulky. A Discus might measure almost as big but is thin and needs less space and oxygen.. I would only put I Oscar in a 55, but i've heard of people keeping a pair in a 55, I wouldn't.

• an oscar will be perfectly fine in a 55, i actually use my 55 to house my juvenile oscars. I am getting a 160 gallon tank to hold 4 oscars that now are only 3" long in a 55 gallon...they live with 2 2" jack dempseys and a 4" pike cichlid, and everyone gets along, no chasing or anything which is a shock. But yes you will be fine, and if you want something fun to watch, aggressive enough to keep the oscar from eating it, then go out and look at pike cichlids, the two of them swim at different levels so you will be golden if you get one, but if you do...make it a sand bottom about 3" thick and add alot of rock caves on 1 side and the pike will dig under the rocks and create a maze of tunnels under it...he will hve atleast 5 ways to get out which is just funny to watch him poke out of each hole.

• This man you talked to at the pet store isn't quite accurate. A 55 gallon will be fine for 1 oscar, if you can upgrade to a bigger tank, thats great if not, thats ok too. I think 2 oscars might be pushing it just for the fact that a 55 isn't wide. Other than that, I say go for it.

• The guy was totally wrong. One oscar can live in a 55 gallon aquarium.

I used to have an oscar in a 55 gallon aquarium. He lived to be 10 years.

• 75 gallons is a minimum they don't need 1500 gallons for a single oscar but an adult oscar cant live in 55 gallons no matter who tells you they can

• a single oscar will live, but not be too happy in such a small tank. as you get to know your oscar you will be able to tell their moods. they are the puppy dogs of the fish world when they are really happy.

100g would be the minimum i would put an adult oscar in.

i have 1 about 14 inches long in a 110g and it would be nice to give him a bit more room.

it would definately be too small for 2 oscars.

• Wrestler of the Year: Cm Punk or John Cena Rookie of the Year: Cody Rhodes or Mr.Kennedy Kennedy Most Improved: Jeff Hardy Best PPV: No Way Out 2008 Best Match: Smackdown! Elimination Chamber or Jeff Hardy VS Umaga Cage Match!!!

• the average to go by is one inch of full grown fish to one gallon of water. Ive seen Oscars at 16 inches long so that is 16 gallons of water. remember that when you put rocks and decor in it, it takes away from the total gallon size. I had a 55 gallon tank and i had 2 Oscars and 3 jack dempseys in it. they all lived fine.