Why does K-9 from Doctor Who look familiar?

I'm thirteen and I've only just started watching the reincarnated version of the doctor who tv show about a week ago. i got to an episode where they introduced a former companion and K-9, the robot dog. I think it was the episode where they go to the school and there are those bats. Anyway, i soon as I saw it, I recognized it immediately. I have no idea, but it looks SO familiar and I'm sure I've seen it before. His voice was familiar, too.

Well when I was in pre- school/ kindergarten, my mom and i used to watch BBC america sometimes, but she's not really a sci- fi sort of person to watch the old episodes, and plus, they stopped shooting the regular episodes in 1989, so there wouldn't be so many advertisements for it that i would have seen it enough to recognize it as much as I do. Is there any connection between that dog and media i would have seen when i was younger?

Thanks!

Comments

• K-9 should be very familiar with viewers of the original Doctor Who series. He was a long time companion of the fourth doctor (Tom Baker) during his seven year run. K-9 also appeared with Sarah Jane in the spin-off pilot episode "K-9 and company". He later appeared in "the five Doctors" in Sarah Jane's front yard. His most recent outings were with Sarah Jane and her friends in the Sarah Jane Adventures. You might have seen K-9 regularly appearing in the 1990s in repeats of the episodes from the classic series.