Do you consider babysitting a real job?

I think it is. It is hard working keeping up with little kids all day! Much harder than most jobs teens have (working a cash register, putting donuts in a box,...). I'm not saying those jobs are easy, but if you've every babysat, you'd know how much babysitters are under-rated. I mean- even the parents don't think babysitting is a huge job- you hardly get paid anything and people are always saying stuff like, "Do you have a REAL job yet" or "You JUST babysit" and yet the parents expect so much out of you! I mean, sure, these are their prized posessions, their children, but some babysitters even expect you to know CPR. How many parents know CPR?!

Update:

I'm sorry if I seemed rude; I wasn't trying to bag on those jobs (cash register & donuts), I was just picking jobs that people consider real jobs and wondering if people considered babysitting the same type of real job as those.

Comments

• I have 6 kids, his mine and ours...the oldest is eight! OMG just shoot me! Absolutely it is a real job; and for the ones whom have inconsiderate comments about having a real job, they are the ones who could or would not do the grit work. Kids are our prized possessions, and beloved to say the least. But when they are in our care alone, we hold lives in our hands and that's a whole lot expected of us. Heaven forbid the kids in our care be the ones who shoot each other on accident while the parents are away. A banker position is a "real job", but i am more concerned with who cares for my kids than my money. Pat yourself on the back, and treat yourself for all of your hard work! God Bless!!

• Babysitting is a real job. First of all, ur taking care of children just as u would in a daycare facility or pre-school. The only difference is that, ur doing it in someone elses home. I hope ur not making less than $10per hr. either. Just like in school, u have to watch them/feed them/entertain them/put them down for nap or sleep. It can b easy or difficult depending on the child. Its a serious job cause if something happened while in ur care, then the parents would most likely blame u so how can this not be a job and it cant be taken lightly.

• I do consider babysitting to be a "real" job but there are different types of babysitters as well - those who do activities with the kids and come prepared with their own ideas of things to do are doing the "real" job. Those who just turn on the TV and let the kids sit there and stare away for hours on end are not doing the "real" job.

If I were hiring someone who was a babysitter and used the family for references, I'd definitely consider that a real job as employment experience and I'd call the references to check, just like any other "real" job.

• Have you had a job "working a cash register and putting donuts in a box?". If not, then don't say anything bad about their job either.

Both jobs are hard. Think about a stay at home mom. That is a hard job and most people don't think it is a real job.

• Absolutly. If a domestic engeneer is a real job, which it is, then being paid for it is deffinatly a real job. It wont pay bills unless you have like a daycare but for a responsible teenager who wants some spending money it is good and helpfull for the parents of the kids. This job is underpaid but you dont have to pay taxes on it.

• Babysitting is a real job for teenagers, it's not a career.

But daycare is.

• yeah its considered a real job, when i babysat i didnt consider it a real job though. so when i did go to get a "real" job i didnt put it on the app under previos jobs and so i didnt have anything under that sect and the lady that did my interview was like " oh no previous jobs? did u ever do babysitting or anything?" and i was like well yeah but i didnt think it counted but she thought it did so it is def a real job lol

• I think its a real job. I guess it also depends on how much you do it....if you just work one day a week then no its not really a real job but if its every evening or several days per week then yea its a real job.

• I think all parents should know CPR because it's very important, I know CPR and am certified for it, They just want to make sure their kids are in good care, but YES babysitters are under appreciated and it's because it's not a real job only if you open a day care center and call yourself a professional.

• Yes it's a real job, you get paid and you work for it. That's a job.