L.A.'s Transit System?

I live in Chicago and we have a very good transit system...I was told growing up through bs conversation that L.A.'s transit system was poor and not reliable. I recently visited L.A. and saw that they had a public transit train and bus system. How come everyone says that L.A.'s system is poor and not efficient when I saw the bus's and rail maps and it looked pretty efficient and good to me?

Comments

• It is because everything in LA is spread out. Not only does public transportation not go everywhere you need to go, but it takes a very long time. A 20 minute destination by car will turn into 2 hours by public transport.

• I don't think the busses are unreliable at all - my beef with them is that to get anywhere you actually want to go, it seems you need to take 2 or 3 busses to get there. The busses are clean and efficient and the drivers are courteous. It's cheap and for some reason, taking the bus (as long as it's just a straight line to where I need to go) takes less time than driving. Unlike other cities I've been in, I spend a lot more time online trying to plan my trips on the LA system.

• OK, here's the deal, there are not enough miles of subway tracks going enough places and the buses tend like cars to move slowly through crowded traffic ...but it is not as bad as people say. They also moan about the price of gas but it is ball park about the same in many large cities. It amazes me that people will pay to work out at LA Fitness for an hour but not walk 3 blocks to get someplace.

• its because LA is most car driven (thats why we have freeways

and people are turned to cars they dont think "transit" like

some of us do,

yes the transit system is pretty good and they have a great

deal you can get a day pass for $5.00 good on all metro operated services) you just have to have a lot patience with transit there is a lot of waiting around ) and then sometime

the bus is crowded or it doesnt show up etc

to me (since transit is my hobby ) I agree with you its

efffecient to you and me -to others noway

• It sucks! visiting some relatives I hated riding the bus out there it so crowded.

I'm from Monterey Bay and our transit system is the bomb, smooth sailing all the way.

• man im from L.A. and i live in fort worth tx now, but L.A. has a good transportation system, the buses go everywhere and the trains do too. i rode those trains everywhere. from L.A. to moreno valley

• Regular Schedule. I just got off the bus.

• try riding the sub way at night in LA

ive seen some CRAZY things

junkies, prostitutes, drug dealers thugs, robert downy JR,

those are all things you want to avoid

• It's gotta be the people. I live in the bay area. Has to be the people.