Did Queen Victoria smoke tobacco?

I have seen web sites saying she did not like smoking but have also heard (on a TV documentary) that she smoked a pipe at one time.

Which is true & can you give me a proper book or trusted web site which confirms or denys this.

Comments

• I believe she smoked a pipe dear boy but old Queen Victoria got her kicks from far more powerful drugs than tobacco. She was a laudanum addict old chap. She ostensibly took this because of 'women's problems'. However she was purportedly seen taking the stuff when she was 7 months pregnant with one of her many children. Perhaps that may explain why they were all not quite right in the head.

• No, Queen Victoria "hated the tobacco habit and tried unsuccessfully to outlaw it from the British Army".

However, according to a UK group that advocates the medical use of marijuana, Her Majesty's physician did prescribe cannabis for the reduction of labor pain.

• She detested smoking and anyone else who did so. She regularly berated the Prince of Wales for smoking. He, in turn, would warn his son to eat some peppermint before meeting the Queen if he had been smoking. In fact, smoking was completely banned at Osbourne and only permitted in her other residences at notable events.

• Smoking was generally not considered a pleasant habit when Queen Victoria was a young woman, sher first Prime Minister, Lord Melbourn, said "I always make a great row about it: if I smell tobacco I swear perhaps for half an hour" and it continued to be considered un unsavoury habit during most of her reign.

As she grew older though she accepted that smoking wass going on. In 'Queen Victoria was Amused' Alan Hardy writes:

'The first official victory for the smoking lobby came in the late 1860s when the newly-married Princess Helen arrived at Balmoral with her husband, Prince christian.

The /Queen heard to her horror that he smoked. It was not so bad as if he drank, but it was still a distinct blemish on his otherwise impecable characer. The Queen, however, decided to be broadminded and actually to give him a room where he could indulged his habit.

A ssmall room was found near the servants' quarters which could only be reached by crossing the open kichen courtyard, and in this bare room was placed a wooden chair and a table. She looked upon this room as a sort of opium den.

When Prince Henry married Princess Beatrice in the 1880s and came to live with his mother-in-law he exercised that male charm to which the Queen was always susceptible. As a result the regime was liberalised. A more comfortable room wsa provided at Balmoral and smoking allowed in the billiard room at Osborne.

This still did no tprovide an official outlet for the ladies. One of the Queen's granddaughters, the later Marchioness of Milford Haven, was to recall "secretly smoking up chimneys and out of windows." Once, she remembered "one of the young maids of honour, Amy Lambert, who, though a smoker herself, had come out without any cigarettes and whose room was below ours, wass supplied by me with a few at a time let down by a piece of string from window to window." In spite of these precautions the Queen knew that her granddaughters smoked.Out of doors at Balmoral Lady Milford Haven found her grandmother surprisingly open-minded on the subject."Guessing that I had probably had cigarettes about me, and the midges being especially annoying, she bade me smoke to keep them away, and even took one of my cigarettes, giving a few puffs at it" (Not that she liked it - "She declared she thought the taste horrible).At other times she actually pandered to people's taste for tobacco.When she found out that John Brown's aunt liked to smoke she made a point of giving her tobacco, and during the Egyptian campaign of the early 1880s she even wrote to the Secretary for WSar offering to supply it to the troops.'

• actual effects: decreased lung skill, maximum cancers. sensory deprivation, reminiscence loss, laziness, and syzophernia (in all probability not spelled properly yet spell checker won't appropriate). Social effects: loss of skill to work together with persons, social stigma.

• Not tobacco but cannabis, She took that for menstrual cramps.

• She smoked wacky tobaccy.

• she smoked opium