How do I arrange my digital photos into a digital photo album?

I have tones of pictures stored on DVDs…

I'm worried that I'm never ever going to enjoy going through them because, unlike the old fashioned printed photo albums, it's frustrating to go through pictures which are on DVD, especially when they are plenty.

Any ideas / suggestions are welcomed… Thanks in

Comments

• Maybe an external laptop hard-disk will do the job.

Yes, I find CD's and DVD's a boring way to go through photos. However, I believe that you should always have a copy of precious photos in more than one medium, in two different locations. For example, on your PC including a different copy on an external hard-disk.

For me, I am in the process of emptying one of the hard-disks I own. I will make it my digital album.

I arrange photos based on type and date. Each person favors a different way for classification.

For example, I have a folder called family. In this folder I will have other folders that are called: Birthday Occasions - Weddings - General - Etc.

In these folders I name the file based on date first (08 Aug 18 - Sister's Wedding) for example.

I cannot claim to be perfect. I still have many many many unclassified photos, that are just waiting to be arranged.

I think when I'm done with all this, I'll move them to an external hard-disk and make it my album. They're always practical and fast when being used (I mean HDD's).

However, I do have to mention again that having important photos in more than one saving medium is important.

As for PHOTO DIGITAL ALBUMS, where there are certain softwares for it... for some reason, I just have the hunch that they are not practical for people who cannot take their hands of the camera ;)

Best of luck!

• Well, I for one only use DVD for back up storage, as you said, their way too big and hold too many to keep going back to them for use.

I too have - thousands - of images, a few hundred thousand.. in fact. Many, many from the film days too and ALL are scanned in as well now. I stopped trying to categorize them and let the sequential numbering from my camera(s) be my source now for such. Here's what I did, but this may not work for all...

I have more than one digital camera, so I made a folder for each camera. In the folders I made other folders called CD-01, CD-02 .. and so on.. As I take the images OFF the camera(s) they go into the folder till it is filled to match the size of a regular CD, then I burn a CD and put it away with the name of the camera and which folder # it is. After I get a number of CD folders filled, I burn as many to a DVD as I can for a 2nd form of back-up. Yes, It's a lot of discs, however, hundreds can fit in a rather small area and I would rather put up with a box of discs in my closet than have nothing after a hard drive crash..

I DO NOT edit any of these images..! If I edit anything it is re-saved using the same file name the camera gave it BUT with a - A - at the end of the name for - Altered - and it sets right in line with it's original image, but there may be a S for small or SS for super small next to the # as well.

Windows Image Viewer does a mighty fine job of letting me see what each folder has in it and I have Windows set to give me thumbnail views of all my images so popping open a folder and seeing it's contents is easy. The average folder has about 300 images each in them and my screen can show 42 thumbs at a time, so going thru a folder is quick and painless..

Most digital cameras can be set to keep on counting the # of pics taken, even when you empty the card and start new again so the camera picks up where it left off. This feature should be somewhere in your camera's Menu. It sure makes storing them easier when one day you do 10 pics and empty the camera and the next day you do a bunch more, only to find your camera started at 0001 again and now won't go into where you wanna store them because the file names are already taken.

Bob - Tucson

• Amanda Type in search bar Free online software for digital photo album for Innvoage products. This will bring you to a screen with free downloads. You may be able to find what you want. Old Codger.

• Be warned CD/DVD is not a secure medium, the only time I ever lost pictures were those saved on CD. I'm talking Sony, Memorex and Yamaha, not cheapo ones.

USB hard drives are a much better proposition, faster and with proven technology.

Chris