Do you use your camera on auto?

True or false... professionals never use their cameras on auto?

Please answer both questions, thanks!

Comments

• Nope can't say that I do. I learned on fully manually and honestly that is what I use most often. I will use aperture or shutter priority when the situation demands it.

I will use autofocus but the only time my camera is ever set on Program or auto mode is when I let my 5 year old take a few pictures. He can't understand which setting to use yet.

I would say most professionals do not use full auto but I suppose some do on occasion. I just don't understand why they would. knowing what settings to use and when is what seperates professionals and serious amateurs from the rest of the camera owning public.

• There are times when even pro's shoot with an automatic mode. For instance, outside on a sunny day when the subjects are moving between shadow and sunlight there is usually not enough time to manually change the exposure. In those cases the photog will usually use aperture priority for casual events or shutter priority for action. Program mode is almost never used, at least by any pro I have ever worked with.

• Bought a new SLR 6 monthes ago and haven't shot in full auto once. I either use aperture priority (40%) or manual mode. (60%)

i do however use auto focus about 80% of the time and sometimes use the flash in auto mode.

• Yes, I do auto focus... and sometimes I will use aperture priority or shutter speed priority mode... but I don't shoot on full auto.

I would say false, professionals do use their cameras on auto.

• I shoot 99% of the time in Aperture Preferred because I like a lot of depth of field. I do watch the shutter speed though.

Back when cameras were 100% manual and you had to set everything I often adjusted exposure simply by leaving the f-stop where I set it and changing the shutter speed. An early, mechanical form of aperture preferred.

• 1) I've never used "Full Auto".

I've used Program Mode (almost full auto), but tend to use AV the majority of the time, TV sometimes, and Manual most other times.

I've never believed in using those Pre-Programmed modes, but on occasion will recommend them to a real novice.

2) False

• Yes, a lot of the time. However I othen select different settings to get the pix I want.

Yes. I have stood next to professional photographers who were using auto

• On ocassion I will admit to shooting in full Auto. I guess one in 1000 pictures is shot in Full Auto