Beethoven Piano Concerto 5 - do you cry?

I am listening to the Minnesota Orchestra play the Beethoven Concerto No. 5 with Osmo Vänskä - The Emperor -- I am crying -- it has been one of those days. I turned on the radio and it was about to start. My father played it when I was young, I have heard it all of my life.

Does this concerto make you cry? And for what reason?

Update:

Now they are playing the 7th Symphony - and it is melancholy today. Just me I guess!

Comments

• Yes, it makes me cry too...Why? Probably because it is so beautifu! It expresses a wide range of emotions, joy, strength, nostalgy...It shows a lot of spirit

Also, it reminds me of happy times as a piano student. and maybe it is nostalgy that makes me cry......

• I don't have any control over when I cry during classical music. Sometimes it's during really weird pieces, like Grieg's Peer Gynt ...not at Ase's Death, as you'd expect, but during "...Hall of the Mountain King"! Probably because I'm reminded of another time.

I love the 5th concerto! Particularly the Rondo. I don't know if you have seen "Immortal Beloved," but I loved the way they used Beethoven's music so lovingly and dramatically all through the movie. They used the Rondo from the 5th piano concerto at the end, so we went home humming it and thinking about the movie and its music for days. I know the movie is not historically correct, but I love Gary Oldman and I love Beethoven, and I can definitely think of worse ways to spend an evening than listening to Beethoven while watching one of my favorite actors! If you see it, you just have to know that it represents the wish of the screenwriter (as to who the "immortal beloved" was)...and a part of me wishes it were true as well. Don't we always want to think that our favorite tormented composers had flashes of happiness at sometime in their lives? I hope I didn't give away the plot.

• I love the fifth concerto. I am always moved by it. I can understand why it has the effect on you the way it does. It is a piece of music that has marked a milestone in many a life I'm guessing.

• I am a piano competition judge. A LOT of performances make me want to cry - or throw up. Here's one - girl comes into room with Rach Prelude in c# minor. She is battling thru the first page - turns into next section - where it is written in 4 staves - the famous part with doubles in bass clef, then doubles in treble clef. I hear ONE bass clef in LH - then a smoosh of ONE treble clef in RH. This continues to the end of the work. I gently ask her when she is fininshed to look at the page. "Honey, how many stave do yo see in the bracket?" "Four!" "And how many did YOU play?" "Two!" "Why???" "Well, my teacher says that when things get hard, just play what you feel like playing!"

I feel like strangling her teacher, is what *I* feel! Can't make up stuff like this.

• It doesn't make me cry, but I am certainly moved by the piece. For me, it always brings me to a higher state -- I feel the greatness of the piece. You certainly have chosen an excellent work to become emotional to.