How do I tell my parents I'm depressed?

I'm 16, female and have been depressed for a year and suicidal for about 10 months. It has just been getting worse lately and i really need to tell my parents but i can't bring myself to talk to them about this. i also just started self harming last week and really need help. what do i say? how do i do it? and whens the best time? please give me some good advice!!

Comments

• Just tell them. Do it ASAP and don't over think how or when because that is not important in the big picture of things. Almost everything in life is much more hard to do when you picture it in your mind than it is to do in real life. Although you may perceive some sort of rejection in your mind, I guarantee that your parents want to know that you are feeling this way and would be heartbroken to know that you are going through this alone and without treatment. Depression is a medical condition and can kill you just like a stroke or diabetes, so go get some treatment just like you would with any other life threatening condition. I also suffer from major depression. It runs on my fathers side.

• You should first ask your parents to take you to your family doctor to rule out anything physical. Then consider asking your parents if you can talk to a community counselor. Or you may want to talk to a counselor at school. A counselor is a great person to talk to because they can offer an unbiased outside opinion on whatever you’re going through. They won’t judge you or tell you to just “get over it.” There is also a website you should check out, www.yourlifeyourvoice.org . Counselors can be reached by email and even live chat during certain hours. In addition, you can call our hotline toll-free at 1-800-448-3000 24/7 to speak to a counselor live. Just remember, you aren’t alone. Help is out there if and when you need it.

Counselor CL

Boys Town National Hotline

1-800-448-3000

• If yall eat dinner together then I think that would be a good time. Or write a letter to them and say you want to talk about it or something and don't know when the best time to talk about it is so they know you're serious

• Is there a school psychologist who could help you with this? The psychologist could be your advocate and be present when you speak about this with your parents. I think a psychologist could explain this to your parents, if you run out of words to say.

• First off, stop self-harming. now. You need to vent your feelings, so just go to them and actually speak your mind. Seriously

• Just tell them how you feel and whats happening. Tell them you need help because you cant cope with it on your own, its just getting worse.

• I recommend you tell them with your mouth. No joke.

• "Mommy, Daddy, this is all your fault, you didn't love me enough!" :)