Do you prefer a D ring or a Ring bit?

My horse is a thoroughbred and he loves to run... a lot. So usually I use a D ring bit because I like the bars since he's learned with a ring bit if he opens his mouth, the bit doesn't work as well. So which do you like better and why? I'm not asking about the bit itself, just the sides. Do you find the D rings have more control than the Ring bit? And if not, do you prefer a different type of side on your bit?

Comments

• I stopped using O ring bits decades ago for a number of good reasons. The major reason was because of the jumbled signals that come through O rings which I decided to be confusing to the horses I trained. When I switched to using full cheek snaffles I saw a notable difference in the ability of the horses to learn and understand the signals through the reins.

I mouthed babies in flexible rubber O ring bits. But they weren't ridden in them.....just accustomed to having a bit in the mouth, and given the opportunity to reach forward against the rein pressure by enticing them to reach forward to nibble treats while the reins were attached to a surcingle or saddle dees. Usually by the second day of this they were avoiding the pressure applied by the bit and not willing to lean into it, even for a tasty treat. Of course, a flexible rubber mouth could not damage tissue.....it was simply the pressure they avoided.

The full cheek snaffle allows for pressure and then release of pressure when they respond, with good stability of the bit. There is no unnecessary vibration as with an O ring snaffle. The signal is soft, clear, and horses learn quickly what they can do to release any pressure. In my experience, the O ring confuses them with excessive vibration, and makes it harder to send clear signals and then allow for clear release in response to their compliance. I've found that O rings invite over-engagement of the reins because of this.

The D ring bit is similar to a full cheek snaffle in that it stabilizes the bit laterally and muffles vibrations coming into the horse's mouth, so I prefer it over the O ring bit. It also prevents the bit from being drawn laterally through the mouth or pinching the corners of the lips, which O ring bits can do unless bit hobbles or guards are used.

So, all of that said, there are reasons to use the O ring, and it is really all about how the horse responds. Some horses tend to panic when they feel any pressure. If the horse is not well started in the mouthing process, the O ring might be accepted better. But if the horse has learned to avoid pressure but not fear it, the D ring will usually immediately be responded to correctly to release the pressure, if you take the time to accustom the horse to it, and to respond immediately when the horse gives to it.

I personally prefer a full cheek snaffle, with bit keepers.

• I have a TB also and I use a number of different bits. I ride Dressage, so my geldings main schooling bit is a german loos ring, but that is only because I don't like to let him run, so I don't need a hard bit to save my life. In your case though, I would suggest getting a bit that has a different mouth piece. The sides aren't what really make the bit harder/softer, or an other words, easy er to control the horse vs harder. It really depends upon what style you rid,but you could try a shank bit that has a good sized port for western, or a kimberwick for english. They both have a stronger mouth piece that will give you the needed controll. If you are not able to get either, then I would sy use a D. Like you said happened, the O ring just goes through their mouth. If you do get a harder bit, be careful!! If you pull too hard they will go up. REAR!!!! I learned that the hard way.

• I'm not too particular to be perfectly honest. Any of them works with every horse I've ever ridden- eggbutt, full-cheek, D-link... they all work. As long as it's a nice gentle snaffle, the ring shape doesn't matter to me. I categorically refuse to use anything more severe than a snaffle, and am particularly partial to French-link (I'm one of those people who thinks that fancy gadgets should only be used by experts, who don't need them. In my opinion, if a rider can't control their horse with a snaffle, they shouldn't be riding that horse).

Sorry, this is just my particular touchy spot. I'm only 17, but in 14 years I've been riding, I've seen way too many horses' mouths bloodied up by idiotic cell-phone-loving trophy-hugging teenaged girls who promptly sell their horses after ruining them. There's this one girl at my barn who has gone through TEN horses in the past 7 years, and every single one of them left much worse than they had come in, all by that stupid girl's wire bit.

• I prefer the full cheek snaffle,since it gives control while giving the horse some freedom. And you can also add leather Keepers to make him more responsive. But my horse is experienced (23 years old)..

But i recomend a regular training snaffle bit.

You may also may be loose if u dont have the straps tight enough

:)

• I definatly prefer a D ring. I have always used a D ring, I feel that I have more control with it. I own an arabian so it could be different with your thoroughbred. hope this helps!

• For dressage, I use a french link fulmer (full cheek sides with a loose ring) so that I have some steering with a good way to have contact. For jumping and cross country I use a french link full cheek.

• Both these bits are snaffles and not terribly harsh bits.

"Dexter Ring" bits (or "D ring" or "Ring bit" for short) are designed to assist with horses that lug.

I have never seen them used here (Aust) on anything other than a race horse.

I wouldn't use one on my performance horses and it may more likely to be misused by some.

It simply stops the bit pulling through the mouth sideways, so is effectively a steering aid and does not really assist in stopping the horse very much, as it is really not that much more effective in that area then a plain snaffle in that one respect (it is NOT like a pelham or gag that has an immediate effect on a horse that pulls).

It is in fact an eggbutt snaffle BUT with a ring that, as mentioned assists when a horse is lugging (leaning or pulling to one side) so certainly does help control in that respect as the horse can't grab the bit as easily and lean etc.

So as far at laterally having an effect, it is very different to a plain snaffle or D snaffle.

As race horses often dont wear nose bands and usually have only minimal education, the Dexter ring can be vitally important for control and safety for the rider, and the horse (prevents the bit sliding through the mouth too far if the horse opens its mouth or lugs).

The other thing about a Dexter ring is it has a similar effect as keys on a bit and youngsters like to chew/mouth more when wearing it.

Some horses prefer/go better in one to the other.

Personal choice.

A D snaffle is slightly different again, but with very similar function in that the bit cannot slide sideways through the mouth.

Did you mean a D snaffle (sometimes called a D Ring snaffle)?

(you said D ring or ring bit - but they are the same bit, as D ring usually refers to a Dexter ring).

A D snaffle is simply a snaffle that has straight sides to the ring.

They also prevent the bit sliding through the mouth and are therefore also very popular in racing.

D snaffle can be ridden in/used by anyone.

The Dexter ring really is only used in racing circles.

If you horse opens its mouth a lot, you may want to first have his teeth checked, or perhaps try using a noseband on him.

Neither of these bits will help with keeping his mouth closed (although he may prefer wearing one to the other).

They will both however help with steering, as will a Tom Thumb snaffle or FM - All of which help with preventing the bit sliding through the mouth due to their bars.

I will see if I can find a link to the Dexter ring...

You will then see why it is commonly referred to a ring bit.

EDIT:

Found a link for you...

This is a 'Ring bit' or 'Dexter Ring' bit:

Note: They sometimes also have bars on them as well as the ring, which assists even better again with the bit sliding through the mouth.

When you look at this pic it is very obvious why they are called ring bits - As they have a ring joined to the snaffle.

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/_various_suppli...

Here is a D snaffle - Quite different looking but more or less the same in function as far as having better steering then a plain eggbutt snaffle (with no bars), except they have no 'keys' or 'ring' to play with or chew for the horse.

I suspect this may be the bit you meant to refer to??

I would suggest this bit unless you are riding racehorses.

It is more simple and therefore a bit milder, although as already stated the Dexter ring is not really that harsh as far as pulling compared to many others on the market, but not for normal riding.

A Dexter bit would not assist in keeping your horses mouth closed and may make the problem worse.

Again, a bit for racing.

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_riding_training/t...

Note:

These bit names are VERY confusing as people do refer to the "D snaffle" as a "D 'Ring' Snaffle" - But they are different to a "Ring bit" or "D Ring" which is also a snaffle - Yikes!

Confused much!!??

It would be common for people to say one and mean the other! I guess it depends on their personal slang or abbreviations and the country they may live in.

But a "ring bit" always refers to a Dexter ring bit - nothing else. They get called "D" rings in racing circles, because its short for 'Dexter" (the full name).

• I prefer the D-Ring because Loose-Rings tend to pinch. D-Rings don't pinch.