How to do a Nova Scotia accent for a play? Tips, pointers from Canadians?

Really,

describe how you pronounce certain words, the vowels, if the accent goes nasaly..

details, please please please :) :)

Comments

• There are many different regional accents in Nova Scotia, the most commonly abused one is Cape Breton-ese. Really too hard to describe phonetically, you have to hear it to understand the nuances - anything else would be just stereotyping, like the whole "Canadians say 'eh' " thing. Try renting some Canadian movies with Gordon Pinsent, or a fairly recent one called "Geraldine's Fortune" starring Jane Curtin. Its set in a small NS town and has lots of local actors, so it will give you a good sense of the dialects.

• 1) Yes it is pretty country. I had one vacation in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia once. 2) I had no idea wine is made there. I hope it is better than Ontario wine. 3) All that area has been economically depressed for decades. Congrats to Newfoundland for become a "have" province and not getting equalization money from Ottawa.

• EH, we tend to always speak perfect English, excluding our EH sound, buts that's about it, sometimes I do a scottis, french, English or Irish accent, but that because we're multi made, meaning we sort of mix with the world, I know the world: all-around speaks, but usually perfect english.

• The Nova Scotia accent is actually much like a Scottish accent - because the original Nova Scotians were from Scotland (Nova Scotia means New Scotland). So if you can do a Scottish accent, that's about what the Nova Scotian will sound like.