Does college actually guarantee getting a real job?

Hi, my name is John and I am really curious if people going to college to attain a Bachelors, Masters, or PHD guarantee them a high payin professional job. Most of my high school peers who all went off to college says their going to be making more money than I am. Instead of myself taking the college route (due to poor SAT scores, and not so hard working student)..I joined the military as a MA (master-at-arms) for the navy. I feel like such a loser and wasting time since I am not in college. I am afraid that im going to be roaming the streets in 5 years begging for change on the corner while everybody else in college goin to be driving a BMW or mercedes with beautiful woman on their sides. Any suggestions or advice on what I can do to obtain a job that can earn enough income to pay off bills and rent for a 1 bedroom apartment? (I seriously think thats where ima live for the future)

Update:

I feel like such a loser since everybody is partying out in their college life and having sex with all the woman while I was serving time in iraq. =-(

Comments

• Your reality is different than there, not worse! First, thank you for serving your country. It is unfortunate that you had to do it but I thank you for it.

As for school, it all depends on what your major is, what you do with it and how you pursue it.

Your friends could end up working in retail at the mall with their degree or they could be making a mill and driving a BMW.

I have never thought it is all about money. Happiness and pursuing your passion is much more important than a piece of paper, partying or getting laid. All are misconceptions of college anyway.

If you do what you love and like what you do, you are rich. It may not be monetarily but your happier than they are.

Besides that, your YOUNG! there is the GI bill, college will always be there for you. Go when you finish and when you do you will be more committed, focused and stronger than all your friends and you WILL make a better choice when it ends so that you have all you want.

I am 34 and getting my Masters and I was a tragically awful college student but now i am more focused and I am doing what i want and I couldn't be more happy! And i have the life most dream of. I travel to foriegn cities at least 3 times a year, I have a gorgeous home, a nice car and money in the bank. I am an ESL teacher! I love my job and get paid well for it.

Find your bliss and follow it and you WILL succeed and not be on the street!

Best of luck to you my friend!

• From your question I can't tell whether you regret not going to college because you've missed out on the sex and all the rest of it or because you REALLY wished you had further qualifications.

Graduates don't necessarily end up in better jobs, my dad left school with no qualifications and started off as an apprentice mechanic and now runs his own business and probably earns more than most graduates I know.

I am a graduate and sometimes I wish I had just set up my own business instead of poncing around and studying. I also know other graduates who in jobs anyone could do without a degree, it's not the be all and end all.

• I have good news and bad news.

According to the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad," college-educated professionals are "one skill away" from being rich -- you have all the training necessary to be a good employee, but not to be rich. You need to learn 1 skill in order to be rich.

NOW THE BAD NEWS.

While people are going back to college in droves to "upgrade their skills," so they can get a $60,000-a-year job, the employers are out getting Indians who are willing to work for peanuts to take your job. It's called the "h-1-B" visa scam and a video from a seminar shows a lawyer talking about not giving a job to a "qualified and interested American worker." (Links below)

So a college degree will probably help, but a PhD is not advisable, because it will take too long to get and by the time you get out, that great job will have been given to someone who speaks Gujarati.

<<I feel like such a loser and wasting time since I am not in college>>

I think that's a load of horseshit. College kids are faking it; they're all desperate on the inside.

• Hi,

I feel your pain, but honestly having a college degree, and trust me not just any college degree, will guarantee a good job in the future. You will have to research about your interest and then find a field that is fairly good demand in your area of interest. After having done this, i think the next thing for you to do is to find a way of having the navy pay for your studies. If you are already an hard working study keep it up at whatever field you choose, you will make it there eventually, Wish you the best, We are proud of you.

• Hey, a college degree does ensure tht you will if not might have a good average job. but having poor SAT is not a reason to despair. Look at it this way you can do some technical studies from professional school like auto mechanic and service those BMWs from your college friends. or even better learn cooking in a cook school n make your self a chef or baker people will always need bread.

if u cant make it in college dont try u will be disappointed so go to a professional practical school.

vote Obama n u will be in ur way out of Iraq.

joke.

• Not at all!! There are many people that go to college and end up not getting their dream job and end up in a dead end job anyway. Plus those going to college don't get experience, while you will. So what if they are wasting their lives partying and stuff, they will probably catch std's, get some girl pregnant, get arrested, or maybe even killed. Stand tall and be proud of who you are, be proud of serving your country, and throw in hteir face that you will get lifetime medical.

• No, depends on the effort you put into it.

Pass with hard work :)

there are other opportunities for you, you just need to seek them and do it..

It's not too late to go to college i think yet.. you just have to start SOMEWHERE!! and keep going consistently

• john ray?