.223 vs .308 ammo prices?

I am going to purchase a remington 700 but i do not know what caliber i should choose. This rifle would be used mainly for recreational shooting. I would prefer to get it chambered in .308 but i don't know if i can afford it. can someone tell me how much i can be expected to pay for 100 rounds of .223 vs 100 rounds of .308. thanks

Comments

• Dan -- Look here for ammo prices......

The .223 is very cost effective.....

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-rifles/2...

and if you want a little more reach look here at this .308.....

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-rifles/3...

Look over the 2 cartridge pages for more information on the .223 and .308.... These should help you clarify what cartridge works best for your purposes.....

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

• 308 Vs 223

• This Site Might Help You.

RE:

.223 vs .308 ammo prices?

I am going to purchase a remington 700 but i do not know what caliber i should choose. This rifle would be used mainly for recreational shooting. I would prefer to get it chambered in .308 but i don't...

• If you are target shooting-no big game hunting-go with .223. Where I live I can get Brown Bear (steel cased) for $5.99 a box of 20. I can get it mail order for less. Normally quality brass .223 costs about half of what quality brass .308 costs.If you are going to fire many rounds at a sitting it will also be much easier on your shoulder. Note: you may not use 5.56 NATO in anything that is not marked for it. It is almost an identical twin to .223, but produces higher pressures.

• For recreational shooting, I'd go with .223 just because that will always be a staple in most gun stores and usually at decent prices. A 200 rnd box of Remington UMC .223 will run you about $110-120 depending on area, thats roughly 58 cents a round, which is decent. Just don't forget what the previous answerer said, NO 5.56!!! You can shoot .223 through a 5.56 but not vice versa. Supposedly you can shoot 7.62 x 51 NATO through a .308, but I've never tried it. I've seen a 20 rnd box of Rem UMC .308 for $17, which is about 85 cents per. More bullets with less money = more money to buy watermelons to shoot.

• I own both and maybe its just the rifle itself but I much prefer the 308. It is very much worth the extra cost per trigger pull to me. Prices vary on the two rounds but it also depends the rifle. for instance my 223 will shoot 55 grain but its not as accurate as 69 grain... the 69 grain costs more than my regular 308 rounds. Shop the internet for ammo too. I just got 1000rds of 308 for 470 bucks plus shipping.

• If it were my decision I would prefer the 308 but the 223 is also a good choice, by recreational do you mean targets or hunting? varmints.deer, elk?by the way you can shoot military ammunition in a good strong bolt action like the 700 Remington 5.56 and 223 are the same round, just like the 308 and the 7.62x51mm are the same round, just one is the military designation and the other commercial name. but seriously buy the 223 and also purchase a lee loader it is operated with just a soft faced mallet neck sizes the case this is how I started reloading and it is very economical, satisfying, accurate and fun to shoot ammunition that you loaded yourself (They also make it in a 308, so the choice is yours) there website is www.LeePrecisioninc.com, save all of your brass and if you know of someone who has one of either caliber and they do not reload you could go in on purchasing components, and split the cost, depends on the price of brass these days, I just picked up 100 cases unprimed at Wal-mart for my 22-250 $38.00, primers $4.50/100, powder $25.00 a pound(7000 grains in a pound), bullets 22 caliber 50 grain $20.00/100. So for around $125.00 you should be able to load 100 rounds for your 223 but remember the 308 uses more powder so it will not load as many rounds as the 223 out of a pound of powder.

• Plinking or up to coyote and varmint hunting .223

White tail deer, at least a .308. 30-06 is better.

Check Ammoman,Cheaper than Dirt and Cabelas.

Between the 3 Cabelas is the most expensive but usually in stock.

• Go with the 308 b/c it uses a heavier bullet and the wind won't affect it near as much. If you are going to hunt with this rifle, you will have more energy for increased penetration. The ballistic coefficient and sectional density will be greater than the .223.

• If you are just going to plink at targets with the rifle and not hunt, go with the .223. That ammunition will always be cheaper than any .308 stuff.

if you intend to do any hunting with the rifle, go with the .308; you will just have to bite the bullet when paying for the ammo.

you can take up reloading to control costs. . .