How powerful a sump pump is necessary ?

These pumps come in "horsepower" of 0.1 to 0.75 and more.

GPH (gallon per hour of tens to thousands.

Too much or too little is not good.

I'm thinking economics; I do not live in fear(I hope).

Comments

• how can anyone say as you give no details of the situation it's being used for

How much dose it need to pump per hour

how high dose it need to pump up

is it clean water or dirty water

• If you're asking about a residential sump pump then I would immagine 1/2 horsepower to be plenty. I've seen them pump 8in of water out of a 550sq/ft basement in a matter of minutes, so you can be sure that if you ever do have a leak, you won't wind up with ankel-deep water. Just be sure to install it with a basket and cover in the lowest part of your floor and ALWAYS watch for leaks, because a sump pump is not a cure, it's a back-up. Check you pump often too so that you know it works, there are plenty of brands that offer long-term or even lifetime warrenties.

• sump pumps are sized for specific applications. the higher the water must be lifted out of the sump and the size of the sump usually determines horsepower. for instance in a residential application the water must be lifted no more than 12 ft.vertically . a one horse power pump in a 40 gallon sump will pump approximately one gallon per second using a 1 1/4 " or 1 1/2 " discharge pipe. this will be sufficient for this application. to pump out a swimming pool in a reasonable amount of time a larger pump and discharge would be preferred. how often will this pump run ? if this pump is in your basement remember if it fails or malfunctions there will be property damage to your furnace, water heater and personal property. consider this when purchasing a pump. talk to a salesman at a plumbing supply store before making your decision. they can give you an electrical operational cost with pump specifications depending on application. buy a named brand . it is cheaper in the long run.

• 0.50 Horse power is plenty. Anymore than that you will need a boat.

• it depends on how much water you have ,,don't it ?