Dogs vs Cats?

Which is really better, considering, amount of care, obediance, playfullness, value to society ect.... and anything else you can come up with. A friend an i were argueing if dogs and cats are 'equal'. I say i dog can do most things and more things than a cat... prove me wrong.

Update:

yea ive never seen cats really do anything for society, yet you alway see dogs on the police force tackling criminals and sniffing for drugs and even guiding the blind, all cats do is get stuck in trees ...

Comments

• OK - I am so bored with the whole you can leave a cat alone arguement! You can leave a dog alone. The best case is if you have a dog door and a fenced in yard. Then you do not even have to come home to a stnky litter box. They even make automatic feeders and watering systems, so you do not need to bug the neighbor for anything.

When you come back, that dog will love on you until you can't stand it anymore. You will feel like the most important person in the world. The cat will resent you arrival to disrupt their nap. There is no arguement - dogs rule, cats drool.

• No, cats really don't do anything for society, per say, except keep the mouse population down in the house. They are much easier to take care of though, and the neighbors don't have nearly as much to complain about with a cat as opposed to a dog.

• Cats are very independent and you can't make them do anything they don't want to. Like you could never send them to obedience school. Yet they have their value in many ways. Comparing dogs and cats is like comparing apples and oranges. Dogs take more care and time. They can fetch your paper or go for walks with you but my two cats will walk with me any day. They can be trained to be seeing eye dogs for certain breeds. I just feel both creatures have their own unique value to society.

• It's kind of a hard comparasion, but I guess the overall better animal based on your criteria is the dog because of their value to society. They can be used as K-9's, seeing eye dogs, protectors etc. Trained correctly they can be very obediant, better than a child. I have a hard time getting our cat to do anything I tell him, but at the same time he doesn't do many things to anger me.

I like dogs better than cats, but I like my cat better than my dog. It all depends on how well trained the dog is because cats are more alike than dogs.

• If you left a dog and cat alone to fend for themselves, the dog would starve long before the cat. Plus, a cat is sooooo much cleaner than a dog, being easy to litter train, and not needing bathing. I love dogs and cats, but I always feel it is an honor when a cat loves you!!

• A cat's friendship is harder to earn - cats are snobs. But I'm a cat person anyway. My cat tells me about his day if I touch him (talkative "meows") and he doesn't always need my company. He's clean and only poops in his Furry Gents restroom (the litter box where I put in the guests bathroom). I prefer to keep a furry friend who is convenient and independent.

Dogs, yes, they are loyal and famous for their selfless contributions to our society. But I think it's the hassle of taking care of them - you have to walk the dog and dogs seem to be more prone to illnesses. Adult dog fur isn't always that nice to touch (rough coat) and the dogs I find useless are those who can't protect you and bark a lot - those toy dogs or dogs you can put in those designer bags. I have no idea why people keep them.

• I would have to agree with you. But, dogs usually eat more, require more attention, time and committment. Laws are more strict on dogs than I have ever seen on cats. So in some ways, you win some and others you loose. I still pick the dog! Cats are for people who like boxes of sh!t in their house!

• As an owner of two dogs and one cat , I would say i prefare my dogs. They are loyal and protective where as my cat only comes to me when he`s hungry. I have two kids four year old and 2 year old and my dogs protect them with their lives, but the cat will only scratch them and hiss at them. Yes Dogs are the order of the day.

We should ban cats from homes with kids, not really but they are not very nice.

• I am a lover of animals. I have had dogs, in the past, and I currently have cats. I prefer cats, because they are quieter -- they do not bark at night and disturb my sleep. They are cleaner, as far as keeping themselves clean -- you will rarely EVER see a cat who smells bad. They use a litterbox. SOME cats do tricks. I have trained mine to play fetch!

They rid your home of any pests, like spiders and mice. Some breeds of cats like to play in water (mine do)

But it is a personal preference thing. Both can provide companionship and entertainment.

• To the first response....thats also the bad thing about cats. THEY DO NOTHING. I mean they don't do tricks or listen and come when you call their names and they think they are all that. More like cocky and want you to come to them. Whereas, a dog gives you all his attention and he is all ABOUT YOU . The cat only thinks about himself even when he purrs its so you rub him or pet him. A dog protects you, listens to you, plays with you, can learn tricks and agility training, most just need their rabies shots and puppy shots and the rabies are only once a year. ANyways I am a dog person and have 5 Huskies they are great and beautiful. I like all animals but like dogs instead of gatos. :)