CPA or CA program?

Firstly, i am from New Zealand studying at Otago Uni.I am doing a Bcom double majoring in accounting and finance. If i want to reach the NZ chartered accounting institute requirements i need to do another 4 accounting/tax/audit papers plus 4 liberal or non-business papers.As it is, my degree will take 4 years(with CA requirements). With CPA australia i don't really need anything as they take a more practical approach and give mentoring ect. Is one more respected than the other? I know here they have CA firms. Can you work in these with a CPA?

I guess to give me an answer you really need to know what sort of future i want to get into. I guess i'd like to work in NZ for a few years then do some work in places like canada or America especially, or anywhere with good mountains and outdoors.

To sum it up; is CPA known well enough in NZ to do? or is the CA worth spending the extra year at uni to do.

Comments

• I've just completed all the uni requirements for CA, and am about to sit PCE1 .... so I've already gone through the path of thinking which is better to do.

My thoughts:

You can't practise in NZ without CA.

CPA is an Australian qualification so is great - for Ozzie.

CA is more easily transferable to other countries, IMO.

CPA is more like NZ ACA.

Conclusion: CA is worth the extra effort.

BTW, CA requires mentoring too. (See NZICA website.)