My car sterio has no memory?

When I switch it on it doesnt remember the stations aven though I store them. Also the cd player starts at track 1 every time I swithch it on. I heard if you swap red and yellow or red and black this solves it. does anyone know exactly what you do??

Comments

• that circuit may be no good also possible wirering promblem

• The easy way to find out which lead is the constant live or memory lead is to give the red and yellow a constant live 12 volt supply direct from the cars battery. Then switch on the stereo remove the yellow wire from the supply if the stereo stays on then the yellow is the memory lead. If the stereo turns off then red will be memory. Simple in practise honest.

good luck STEVE (jollertodger)

• Hi there,

Sounds like someone has fitted the yellow and red wires incorrectly when your car stereo was fitted, I suggest removing the unit and changing the yellow and red wires over. The red wire is an igniton source and the yellow wire is permanent live for memory req's, sounds silly don't it, you automatically consider red to be main power and I have made the same mistake myself when i have had to install a stereo.

Cheers

• usually the yellow wire controls the power to the memory. You need to connect the yellow wire to a power source that is always receiving power even when the car is shut off. Use a test light and find a fuse that has power even with the car off and connect the yellow wire to that one. The red wire also needs to be hooked to power but not necessarily a constant power.

• theres two live wires that go to the stereo, one is through the ignition and its only live when the ignition is turned on, and the other is a constant live - this is the one that keeps the memory going,

its hard to say what colours you need to swap over because all cars are different,

there should be a wiring diagram with the radio - check it out

• the memory lead to the stereo needs a perminent feed usually the yellow lead but check the manual

the main feed wire usually red takes it's power supply when the ignition is on

• Cant tell you exactly how to do it(every car has different colored wires) but if you know which one is you constant power cord then hook it up with the yellow with black strip wire attached to the CD player.

• And if the wire is indeed connected, check to make sure that the [yellow] wire isn't on an independent fuse. Also, you can check the wire with a voltmeter and see if your getting any juice. If the memory wire is connected and is getting juice, than it is most likely a faulty head unit.

• You have a live and a always live lead The always live lead is the memory lead and has to be connected to the car on a all live battery connection like the hazard warning light circuit

• there is a single wire from the radio what goes to positive it is always live,it makes the radio remember the preset stations,when you turn your ignition or auxilary of the radio dont work,if it does then you only need to conect the single wire,..dont change the batary wires round you will do the radio in,