How do idiots pass engineering?

I i know a lot of people who are not that smart but still managed to get a chemical engineering degree. How? I heard engineering is one of the hardest degrees out there. So how did they pass? I don't want to embarrass them by asking them how they passed because i really cant believe it! I'm a lot smarter than them. Is engineering not that difficult to pass?

Comments

• many people do really exert themselves while for many others there are several other reasons

i graduated with an engineering degree a tough one, many were those who were bookish/nerds and got their way arnd thru tht (some courses really were just theory stuff) others were ok but exerted themselves practised more, some were like practically very sound but screwed up thoeory-exam stuff, some dint do much but quite smart or already knew stuff, many got their way arnd thru ***-kissing whenevr it cud work and most importantly the grading system graph relative thing they manage to clear (being at or above class average in marks). i came across many who were ordinary but cud fit in one of the similar categories over a variety of courses thruought the degree,

many of these folks knew nothign on graduation, some shifted to other degrees others persisted somehow many among these i knew have done pretty well in industries , much much better than me ( i did well), we all did, however, go thru some tough academic times but i am sure that holds for most bachelors like business, math, eng., medicine atleast for the concrete majors in good colleges

• In my opinion, the difficulty level in any degree area is almost completely subjective. You don't need to be a genius to obtain a bachelors in physics or bio-engineering, just perseverance and motivation to stick with it. In your case, the amount of people who pass their engineering classes COULD just be the largely due to the ease of the teachers within the department, grading curves, etc. I am sure there has been some study done at the university level that examines the "intellectual-ineptness" of students who obtain higher-level degrees in comparison to the academic standing of the university. Without even doing research I am sure you would agree that an engineering program at MIT is more difficult than one at a small public university.

My second thoughts are that many people are just lazy and thus may seem pretty stupid. I have a few friends who don't apply themselves to anything unless they are given a test to study for, in which case they pick up information fast. Everybody's different. I suppose it's about conditioning - how we managed our study habits when we were young.

Just to conclude my opinion: engineering is not as difficult as it seems (the same can be said about ANY study area). When you were in elementary school, were there not subjects that seemed so subconsciously foreign to you that it was impossible to imagine yourself in a state were it was trivial?

• Determination

Engineering is difficult. It requires lots of math and science based knowledge to complete the coursework, no matter what engineering degree you go for. Half of the engineering students switch majors or drop out in Freshmen and Junior year. Out of the 50% that reach Junior year, only about 5% switch majors after that. It gets easier in Junior and Senior year because you learn to manage your time better and you finish your Physics and Calculus courses.

There are many people who might be slow or not know what is going on in the world, but that is not watch Engineering teaches.

Engineering teaches systematic problem solving techniques, writing skills, and analytical thinking. They teach very little facts beyond formula's and laws.

• Be careful. The litmus test is whether you get a job after graduating. The second litmus test is whether you get a license to practice. You may want to review the track record of your school in placing graduates in industry, which industries and eventually becoming high level managers. If your school is a diploma mill with a poor record of placing graduates, then you should be concerned about your own future.

• Tell them you are interested in Chemical Engineering and ask them to show you what they do. Most are proud enough of their knowledge and skill to show-off a little and do a tour-de-force of their skill and knowledge.

After seeing it done, could you do it?

• i bet those idiots did a lot of hard work to pass engineering.