I got this email is this a scam?

I recently got a shady email.

YEUNG LAP MING.

BANK OF EAST ASIA, LIMITED

(THE). BANK OF EAST ASIA BUILDING, 10 DES VOEUX ROAD CENTRAL.

This will interest you,

My name is Mr. Yeung Lap Ming, I am the current General Manager of Bank of East Asia Des Voeux Branch, Hong Kong. Am writing you this mail for something very important; I am happily married with two lovely kids. I have been a banker for almost 10 years.

I have packaged a financial transaction that will benefit you and I, as the regional manager of my branch it is my duty to send in a financial report to my branch Accra, Ghana and at the end of each business year.

On the course of the last year 2012 business report, I discovered that the branch in which I am the manager made Seventeen Million Three Hundred Thousand United State Dollars ($17,300,000.00) USD only. I have placed this funds on what we call escrow call account, this account is strictly for onward transfer, with no beneficiary.

As an officer of this bank I cannot be directly connected to this money in any way, so my aim of contacting you is to assist me receive this money in your bank account and get 40% of the total funds as commission, while 60 percent comes back to me. I placed you on 40% because I believe this business now belongs to the both of us, and your efforts and support is highly going to be involved as well.

Up till date, no one has the knowledge of the $17,300,000.00USD you are about to receive in your bank account, and no one will ever know of it.

All you need to do is stand and claim as the original depositor and beneficiary of the fund in Accra Ghana branch so that my head office can order the transfer of the fund to your designated bank account. There are practically no risks involved, it will be a diplomatic cargo delivery to your door step or online bank transfer to your account.

From the day you applied, within 6 days the money should have been move from our branch in Accra Ghana and cleared in your account if all things work out well. Then I will get back my 60% through any means we find best to do so. '

Please note that all I need from you is your trust and sincerity as to seeing this through. PREREQUISITE:

I want you to know that all Procedure for the successful of delivery of this funds to you have been mapped out and success is 100% sure. I have an attorney that will prepare the necessary documents that will back you up as the real depositor of the said funds, all that is required

from you is to provide me with your Full Names and Address, so that the attorney can commence his job. After you have agreed to do this with me,My attorney will prepare document for claims on your behalf and also secure the necessary approval and letter of probate in your favor for the release of the funds to your name that will be provided by you. We are going to adopt a legalized method because the attorney will prepare all necessary documents in your favor..

Please endeavor to observe utmost discretion in all matters concerning this issue. Once the funds have been transferred to your nominated bank account, we shall share in the ratio of 60% for me, 40% for you.

I sent you this mail not without a measure of uncertainty as to what the consequence entails.

If you are interested,please send me your: Full names and address.Telephone and fax numbers.

Finally,I shall furnish you with more informations about this operation.

Your Prompt response to this letter will be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Mr.Yeung Lap Ming

Comments

• 100% scam.

There is no banker at some overseas bank who suddenly found a dormant account with millions yet can't find a single relative of the account owner who managed to die suddenly in a plane/train/car accident or whatever natural disaster was just on the world news and didn't leave a will. Now this highly educated executive who writes like an 8 year old, must have a foreign partner to help him move this newly discovered wealth to any bank in any other country before his government seizes the cash.

There is only one scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money by using a fake story, stolen pictures, stolen information on a natural disaster and copied links from a legit website, all while pretending to be several different people all with free email addresses.

The next email was from one of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "minister/banker/barrister" and has demanded you pay for made-up money transfer, document, certificate, stamp and bank fees, in cash, and only by Western Union or moneygram.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "fake next-of-kin scam", "fraud inheritance bank Western Union scam", "fake Ghana refugee scam", "fraud romance scammer" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

• Any that come to my address are sent by Gmail to the spam folder online and never downloaded with my e-mail. You get them from more than those sites too. If you have a thoughtful friend who forwards your e-mails to someone else without deleting your address, it can be harvested by spammers. Viruses harvest e-mail addresses from e-mail programs. Many other ways to get an e-mail address. You've done well. Don't forward from your main address and try to keep it out of "auto update" your contacts programs that your friends run. Congrats on clean mail.

• So you are using this bank to invest money and they have made a major profit from your investment. Nothing wrong with that. Except you have NO SUCH INVESTMENT. I can see you have no such investment from here. I know this because this bank obviously does not exist, NO bank can "lose" that much money and not notice. My only problem with this is WHY ARE YOU EVEN ASKING? These scams only succeed because of greed. Obviously your greed is turning off your brain.

• Absolutely a scam. They really went to a lot of

trouble typing that one out. It is fake from the

very start. I don't know why anyone would believe

that crap.

• Yes...they are are few general stories they use but it is a scam. Do not give any information back in these types of emails.

• 100% Scam

• Big time scam. And I got this kind of an email a few years ago!!

• This email is 100% SCAM and a SPAM, don't trust on these types of emails, these are fraud people of hackers who send these types of emails so that you could trust on them and send your details, and they they might use these details as something wrong or crime.

• 100% SCAM

Why are you even opening emails from people you don't know? You never open emails from strangers. NOBODY is ever going to contact you by email about large sums of money

• Yes, that mail is a scam.