How do you cite two quotes in a sentence?

I am writing an essay on this article and i need to know how to do that

Comments

• I'm assuming you're using MLA -- if it's APA, I have no clue, sorry -- but if you mean something like this:

So-and-so said "blah blah blah," but this person said "yadda yadda" (citation).

Then you'd say -- with the right names and numbers, of course -- (19, 295). If you don't mention their names in the original sentence (ie, something like this:)

One author writes that "a;slkjwaoiw" while another claims "as;lfkjwa" (citation).

Then it would be -- again, with the right names and pages -- (Smith 19; Johnson 295).

And, of course, this is all assuming you aren't using footnote citation, which is completely different. Citation's a headache, isn't it? ;)

• If by "cite" you mean a footnote acknowledging your source:

"I am writing an essay..."(1) and "...I need to know how to do that."(2)

Footnote:

(1) TrackSta, YA beginning of question, (2) TrackSta, YA end of question.

In a printed manuscript, the 1 and 2 would be in subscript, but for typing I think this would be acceptable.

Do you mean a quote within a quote?

In his book he admonishes students "As my father explained in his book, 'Too many quotes equals plagiarism'."(1)

Footnote:

(1)How to Write Good, by Dr. A. Nonymous, Ephemeral Publishers, NYC 2007

You wouldn't have to cite the quote within the quote.

This is my opinion; any grammarians out there wish to correct me?

• Is the essay in American English or British English?

"Normally it would be started with a regular quotation mark 'then you would use a apostrophe to start the second quote' you would close the second quote with another apostrophe and then close the sentence with a final."

So basically: "word 'word' word "

If you are using British English the " would be a ' (apparently Americans just have to be different from the rest of the English world. )

• basically use a comma to split the line numbers (upload the financial ruin or e book huge type if diverse). be confident to operate the ellipses if omitting something in between 2 strains. EX: “all-powerful Jupiter, if prayers influence you . . . / grant us a sparkling signal, and confirm this portent!” (2.898, 901) p.s. the ahead decrease ( / ) is to reveal a line smash in poetry.

• http://www.noodletools.com/quickcite/

This Jr. High website shows you how to site any source in MLA format.

• I think you mean this:

Mother said, "You may have the car until noon," and then she added, "Please fill it up with gas before you come home."

That's one sentence. I hope that is what you wanted. Good luck.

• If they are within each other: " then '(second quote)', then". If they are not within: "," for each quote.