Why doesn't Canada promote its own "four corners" like America does?

In the US, the "four corners" are a major tourist attraction - that's where the state borders of Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah all join together. There's a monument and a popular tourist park. It brings in a lot of revenue for local communities.

Compare that to the site of Canada's "four corners" - the place where Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut come together:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:4_Corners,_Canad...

It's very under-developed, and only a couple hundred or so tourists visit each year, mainly as a side-trip from fishing/hunting vacations on Kasba Lake.

Why is this? Why doesn't Canada do more to develop its own four corners?

Comments

• Because copying what the USA does isn't Canada's style and isn't always the right thing to do, basically.

Today the temperature in Iqaluit is minus 16C with light snow falling, add the wind chill and it's minus 21 degrees Celsius.

How would you promote that.

"Google’s first day of mapping the streets of Nunavut’s capital kicked off with a firsthand look at the unique challenges of geography in the Far North. For example, some of the roads the team will map this week don’t exist in the summer...."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/on-iq...

I'm not in the slightest dissing the North or those that live up there, heck they are way tougher than I'll ever be and between the midnight sun, northern lights and polar bears etal it's damned magnificent... but suffice to say marketing such a place as a tourist spot would be as challenging as living up there.

• You know what, it's funny you should mention that.

I've been a visitor in the USA more times than I can count, from north to south and east to west, and I've never heard of your 'four corners' until just now. I've been to the major tourist spots (New York, Vegas, Orlando, etc) and the spots nobody cares about like Valdosta, Sandusky, Tarpon Springs and Clarksville, and this is still the first time I've heard of the Four Corners. You'd think a frequent visitor like me would have heard of that, but no. See how big the tourism business in your country is?

That's why we don't have such a thing in Canada. Because if we did, nobody would care. Tourists don't go where they're told, they go wherever they think something might be interesting. We get a lot of visitors in Canada each year (not as many as you do, but hey), and most of them just want to take in the scenery and learn the local history of wherever they happen to find themselves at the moment. Being an American, I'm sure you can relate to that.

• You wish to have a straight answer from a liberal Christian, good right here it is. The thing is that liberals are (or at least appear) more open minded in accepting differing opinions. I have no hindrance with aethists, agnostics, and so on (btw, do not label all non-christians as aethists) talking there mind and there point of view. I additionally will also listen to the exhibit now and again to peer if they are pronouncing anything that can simply make feel, instead of shutting out the idea without looking into it myself. Yes, i am Christian born and raised, but there are somethings in Christianity that I question, I thus search answers to these questions, which for the most phase (from my experience) are not able to be answered. Additionaly, in your declaration you are evaluating correct wing indicates with a left wing radio network. Have you learnt for sure that ClearChannel has no "anti-christian" (as you name it) shows?

• Straussi, have a look how the United States is div-id up, then, while your looking at the atlas look at Canada, at how we are situated.

The locations your talking about in Canada, have you been there? Next time I book a trip with Buffalo Air, I will have a look and offer you a suggestion. A lot of it is natural wilderness unspoiled.

• Because it is in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing reasonably close to it. There are no roads to it.

Why waste the money?