XBOX 360 audio, Optical or HDMI?

I'm getting a Sony sound bar system with virtual surround (not true 5 channel/speaker surround) and I'm wondering if I need to invest in an HDMI cable or will an Optical cable be enough to handle my sound needs? HDMI seems like overkill as it transmits both video and audio and I only need to send audio signal to my soon-to-be sound system. The optical cable can plug in to my existing 360 HD analog cable and would be much cheaper.

Comments

• as you said if you only need audio then use Optical IF ITS cheaper in your area

other wise go for the HDMI cause you might use it in the future for video too

but for your info you won't tell the difference between Opt, and HDMI cause you will need a Hi-End Theater system with 7.1 Dolby to really need the HDMI cable

otherwise go for the Optical in my opinion

• An HDMI cable could purely have one particular cable - kinda looks similar to a huge firewire cable. It has the sound a video multi functional. it could plug into the HDMI enter on a television. The pink, Yellow, and White on your television is a composite connection - this is analog. the eco-friendly, blue, and pink are factor that are a alot greater appropriate - in spite of the undeniable fact that it nevertheless isnt HDMI

• HDMI you will get better sound, optical is the 2nd place runner up. Even on 2 stereo tv u can tell the difference with a HDMI cable. but its your choice if u want good sound then yeah HDMI is the way.