Why do elderly African Americans eyes turn blue?

I know a lot of elderly people and when they were younger, they had brown eyes, but now they are blue/

CARE TO EXPLAIN PLEASE?

Update:

Yes and all are lsing eyesight

Comments

• thats a rele good question.i have noticed my grandma's eyes change fro quite some time, they go from dark brown wit a lighter blue lining. and during the night time, the blue is a lot more visible. she is now 76. my mom will be 55 and she is mixed. and ehr eyes are dark brown, but the lining is a darker blue. i really don't understand it, i'll remind her to ask her eye doctor the next time she goes.

• It's not just AA men. My father is white with brown eyes that are now blue. I don't know about his eyesight. He can't drive and has too many other health worries. He never complains about his eyes bothering him though.

• Cataracts

• Believe it or not that is the effect of untreated cataracts....it gives off a filmy blue look and is just more noticeable in persons of color due to the contrast of skin and eye color to the blue film

• It's not cataracts I'm young and I just started getting them in my 30s my dad has them also the doc said it's hereditary what causes it I do not know but it is hereditary

• ?40G?, your answerer, is right. It's cataracts. And it's not exclusive to race. If your elder friends are availed of eye care, the thickness of their cataracts can be judged whether operable to remove them. My mother underwent the procedure and was able to distinguish between the color peach and the color pink again, for the first time in years.

• My fathers eyes were a dark blue but I don't know why they change. It could be age!

• Another answer is the pigment in their eyes could just be disintegrating very slowly once they are old. Not just cataracts

• Cataracts makes a persons eyes appear to be blue when they actually aren't!

• i've never spotted this before

generally new born babies have blue eyes, but they then develop darker eyes as they mature due to the fact that the melanin takes a while to be acquired. hence alot of babies have blond hair

in this way, during age, and also in cases of severe malnutrition, the bodies production of melanin is slowed which is why people get white and grey hair. and fairer skin. this may also attribute to the lighter eye colour