Building a computer system?

I am currently re spray painting a computer shell, mouse keyboad etc... the problem is I dont have all the parts to go inside of this computer. I need a m/b,ram,cpu and another hard drive, I did some pricing around and all the individual parts cost so much, I was thinking it would be cheaper to buy a new computer and just ripe the guts out and put it in my computer case instead, anyone have a tips about building a computer system? and what would the cheapest way of going about this?

Update:

I would just like to add, that I know already know what wil fit in the case and what wont fit, the pc will be used for internet, word processing and games, im thinking p4, 320gb hdd, 1gb ddr2 ram 800mhz

Comments

• here are some parts

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0ghz cpu (61 bucks)

BIOSTAR NF4ST-A9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard (50 bucks)

Kingston ValueRAM 128MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

(16 bucks per piece)

^ i suggest buying either 2 pieces or 4 pieces

Geforce 6200 LE (33 bucks)

and any harddrive you want

that is about 160 to 200 bucks not including the harddrive

you will need an SATA harddrive (only SATA)

Learn how to overclock

www.overclock.net

join the forum

ask some questions

it is worth it

your 60 buck 2 ghz CPU

has the ability to reach 2.6ghz to 2.8ghz

that is really really really fast (for an AMD cpu)

EDIT

ok, sooo. u have some high standards right now, very high

you never gave me a budget, but from what you just said, it is a crap load.

here comes the real gamer setup

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Asus P5W series motherboard (pick one, not familiar with Asus)

Corsair XMS Series RAM

7950GT or 7900GT videocard from Geforce

• You need to think about what kind of computer you want. If you want a computer that looks good that's one thing but if you want one that performs half decently that another thing entirely. Yes it is true you can go to dell and get the cheapest co-functioning stuff in the world, which is economically feasible. But if you want a computer to perform you have to spend more. Also the parts in cheap computers are, in essence, cheap. They say they have all the flashy things like a 200GB hard drive and 1GB of RAM, but the hard drive will probably only have a 2MB cache and the RAM will only run at 300MHz, if your lucky. It is much better to build your own.

One idea that i have used before is find an old decrepit PC and gut it and throw the parts in the better case. Even if it is only the CD drive. However, one thing you have to remember is that not all hardware is compatible with all cases.

• If the case is really good, I would look at ebay for the parts. I have used it a lot for parts, and have been ripped off a small percentage of the time. The key is to search for the item you want, and make sure you avoid "as is". The entire computer is a good isea. At the worst, you will have a lot of good parts.

• www.tigerdirect.com. you can buy a barebones kit, or select all of the parts individually. If you buy from this site you can actually make/get a better/cheaper pc then buying from dell. in my opinion just build ur own!

get a 160gb hard drive, i have a 80gb for games and its still not full. I think 320gb is a waste

• building ur own is cheaper ... but first you need to decide what u want as far as capabilities ... or just a basic itegrated graphics system to search the web with ... or a powerhouse to game and video edit with ...

• in case you acquire each and all of the areas and you're construction your equipment from 0, then you will could desire to purchase an working equipment. lots of the time OS comes merely with an entire equipment.

• www.newegg.com, or better yet what do you plan on doing with this system. cause if your just gonna surf the web and type papers then you don't have to buy the latest most expensive hardware?

• umm...ok, and why are you doing this again?