J1 visa asylum?

Hi,

I'm on j1 visa (Fulbright scholarship) and I'm planning to apply for asylum in the US. My question is what if I aplied, would my sponsor know? And if the sponsor knew, would they cut off the fund (monthly stipend and university payment)? Please advise

Comments

• strictly speaking, DHS isn't allowed to tell anyone that you have an asylum application. however, the fact that you are here on a Fulbright Scholarship will certainly undermine your asylum application. very hard to maintain your government has either persecuted you or has any intention to persecute you if you were to return, since the US embassy in your home country would have worked with your government to include you in this program. and you would have been selected by the US specifically so you could return home to share your experiences here. the asylum program could certainly obtain all the information contained in your visa application, at the very least. and of course if you were denied, you would be returned home. so would you be turned down? Well, we can't really say since we know nothing of any potential claim you might have, but it certainly complicates things at the very least as there will be much more known about you than the average asylum applicant and all of it researchable.

so, give it serious thought before you decide to apply. clearly, if the program people did know, you would be cut off. How could you think otherwise?

former asylum officer.

edit: well, you would certainly need to apply within a year after your arrival. beyond that, you might well have a shot at approval, but since I have no idea what your claim might specifically be, it's impossible to say. certainly Libya itself is extremely chaotic at present with no indication that it will be better any time soon.

• Me and my wife were not thinking about asylum when we got here, but according to the fact that our country (Libya) is going through a civil war and things are getting really bad in there specially with ISIS exist in Libya now, it's not a safe place to live there anymore specially that we have 3 months old baby boy.

I'm sure you understand, I can't risk losing Fulbright funding if they knew, and as i was told, I need to apply for asylum with one year from my entry to the U.S. otherwise I will lose the right to apply after the first year

• This is fraud, and it will cost you your visa, your Fulbright (since you are required to return to your own country), your ability to get visas elsewhere (since US shares info on visa fraud, etc, with so many countries & they will not admit anyone flagged for fraud), and any possibility of filing any legitimate asylum claim for the rest of your miserable life. You're not getting asylum, so are you willing to give up every possible opportunity for the rest of your life & remain permanently in your country of citizenship without so much as a vacation abroad? Only honest, moral, ethical people wanted by employers, countries, or anyone else. And you are not one of those.

• If you do this you will greatly damage the Fulbright scholarship programme for other applicants from your country.

<<Your eligibility for a Fulbright scholarship is based, in part, on your intention to return to your immediately following your program. If you show intent other than to remain in the U.S. for a temporary, specific, limited period (such as applying for an immigrant visa to the U.S., asylum in the U.S., or residency in a country other than your own) you will be ineligible to receive the Fulbright scholarship. Please carefully review the J visa policies for further information.>>

• This is immigration fraud and your case will be rejected.