Do Australians speak English?

Ive herd thay like only speak Japanese or somthin

Update:

So am I Ebimoz.....

Comments

• We are supposed to.

However, there are migrants who have been here for years, and receiving Centrelink payments, who wouldn't know how to speak English if their lives depended on it.

Then there are those who forget they speak English when they are being questioned by the police.

As far as I'm concerned, you want to live here, you want Government financial assistance and/or you want to be treated like an Australian, then you speak English 100% of the time.

• Do Australians Speak English

• Yes and, as a Brit, I prefer the Australian brand of English to the brand spoken in the US, even if some of them, particularly Sydneysiders go up at the end of a sentence making everything they say sound like a question.

When I was living in Sydney it took me a while to figure out what 'omandymanints' were. In a TV advert it was not only spoken, but appeared on the screen in large letters.

The name of the second hand shop in Paddington called Emma Chizzit made me smile.

This variation of English is often referred to as 'strine'.

• Austrailians speak Austrailian English. Just like American English, Austrailia uses different words from the British. They all speak English, but prefer to use their own words sometimes. I

For example; British say "Goodness me!"

Americans say "Jeez!"

Australians say "Crikey!"

It all means the same thing, just a different word. (These were just examples, btw, I am not familiar with any other words)

JAPAN speaks Japanese. I don't know who you heard that from, that's daft. Only those who wanna learn Japanese speak it sometimes. Like me :)

• The speak English, more or less but they mean something different from what an English person would mean quite often, though they don't realize that and it causes a lot of misunderstandings.

• They speak English with their own accent and have a different vocabulary than in England or North America

• Thats the same like asking "Do brits speak english"?

English is Australias native language.

• Yes, they do speak English, how do I know? My friend lives there.

• No we don't speak English, and yes our primary language is Japanese.

• hard situation. lookup in yahoo and bing. that could help!