Transfer F1 to H1? Serious problem!?

My OPT is ending on July 5, 2010. I applied to another master and my old University transferred my status to my new university today. I mean I submitted all the forms required to issue a new I20 by the new university.

On Wednesday, I had a job interview. The interviewers told me they need someone to begin working for them right away. They will let me know next week whether I have been accepted or no. I think they want someone to begin working for them in July. What about my visa? How do you think I will be able to work? The job is very prestigious and I do not want to lose the offer in case I get it (I did very well in the interview). Could you tell me what I need to do and whether I can have a work visa right away in case I have a job offer? Thank you :)

Update:

To Fred S: Thanks a lot for your help!

Comments

• As of June 25, 2010, 23,500 H-1B Regular CAP subject non-immigrant visa petitions have been filed with the USCIS towards the 65,000 cap.

As of June 25, 2010, 10,000 H-1B Masters Degree CAP subject non-immigrant visa petitions have been filed with the USCIS towards the 20,000 cap.

USCIS will continue to accept both cap-subject petitions and advanced degree petitions until a sufficient number of H-1B petitions have been received to reach the statutory limits, taking into account the fact that some of these petitions may be denied, revoked, or withdrawn.

That means you could start employment before Oct 1, 2010, but you cannot start employment before your status is changed to H-1B, and that isn't going to happen overnight. If you want to accept employment with the company that interviewed you, they need to petition for you.

Once the petition is approved and your status is changed to H-1B, you can begin employment. It will take about 2 months for the petition to be adjudicated. You would not be able to work anywhere until it is approved.

• they have to provide the H1B ...that cannot be done immediately and you cannot start until Oct 1st anyway ..why would they offer a job to a newly qualified person when the H visa is supposed to be for the highly skilled

Go see your own Immigration lawyer

• you cant apply for a H1 only the employer can and they have to show that they cant find anyone with your skills. They also have to pay for the process.