do smells trigger memories to you?

certain smells triggers lots of memories to me all the time, like i remeber the smell of my grandpas funeral 12 years ago, sometimes the smell of that rooms comes out of nowhere and it brings me back to that day,, just a example of many

Comments

• Wow... I thought it was just me.

There is this smell, which I can't describe, that reminds me of my classmate from elementary school. The smell of mums reminds me of Japanese funerals. The smell of Lagerfeld (cologne) remind me of my very first boyfriend...

And those smells sometimes come out of nowhere and I still can't figure out how I smelt them.

• Smells trigger memories for me too. The smell inside a feed store reminds me of when I was small and helping my Grandmothers feed the chickens.

• Whenever I smell fresh ground coffee, I think of the first time I remember going shopping with my mother at age 3-4, and going down the Coffee Isle, at the Supermarket in NYC...

• Smells are like songs, memories associated to them are the last things to go...sometimes you forget images, you forget faces, but smells always bring you back to a place, a certain time, a certain person.

Whenever I smell lilies, I remember the first time I received flowers, the smell of Monoi Oil (flower oil) reminds my of the moment I stepped on the lobby of the first hotel of my honeymoon, Carolina Herrera 212 reminds me of my husband, the smell of a wet cat reminds me of Felipe my cat, the first time I saw him he was really wet and I saved him from a starving dog. Humidity reminds me of my mom's closet...lol. The list is endless.

• yea i know what you mean. Sometimes a certain smell reminds me of when i was in kindergarden which was many years ago. And a certain cologne that i might smell in passing will remind me of someone who once wore that cologone and just like you said these were just an example of many

• Yes. The smell of my wife's perfume always brings back memories of when we first dated.

• hm im not confident about my early existence yet i do bypass over the this purely female iv loved the most even as theres a scent of davidoffs coolwater round, coz she continually used to placed on it formerly =(. its been virtually 4 years besides the undeniable fact that the scent nonetheless receives me all emotional. ah nicely wager everythin takes position for a reason. *sigh*

• YES. THE SENSE OF SMELL IS ACTUALLY THE BEST MEMORY TRIGGER. WHICH IS PROBLY Y U GET SO MANY MEMORIES FROM SCENT

• Yes, when i go see my oncologist, I have to pass by the chemo room. It is a medicine smell. Makes me nuseated.

• YES THEY TRIGGER ME ALSO SO ITS NOT JUST YOU. I REMEBER WHEN I WAS YOUNGER THIS SMELL I HAD B4 I THROU UP. SO NOW WHEN I SMELL IT ONCE IN A BLUE (THINK IT WAS AN AIR FRESHENER BACK IN TEH EARLY 90'S) I START FEELING SICK. LIEK I WANT TO THROW UP.