how do I change my electrical system in my car?

I have a 1984 chevy caprice classic w/v8 305 in it and I am in need of a whole new electrical system, from running turn signal, gages , speedometer,ect....how would I do this myself.....

Comments

• With great difficulty. My Friend unless you replace one at time so you dont get confused

• Buy a factory service manual about $250. 3 parts Published either by GM or Helms. Final edition. You must learn how to use a multimeter. The FSM will give you all the specs you need. If you just need a wiring harness for the engine compartment, you can buy a "painless harness". Expense. you're better off with the manual.

• The proper way is to buy the original harnesses, connectors etc and replace it all. A good DIYer with the car electricity basics can do it. Avoid improvising and using generic or household cabling, there's a huge fire hazard.

If you also need gages, lighting etc, it may not be worth your money - consider buying something ready-to-run...

• You need to find another car like yours in a junkyard to pull the wiring off and do a transplant. A pain int he A$$ for sure.